Is firewood at Gas Stations safe to use in kamado as wood chunks?

Not for me..first off any kiln dried wood is not going to deliver as good a flavor profile as properly aged wood, which can take several years to get to 15/20% moisture level, depending on the wood.

Second, is that wood type identified?

There are some types of wood that are not good for smoking meat, such as pine.

On 8/24/2019 at 8:43 AM, King19 said:

Yeah I won't even use the restrooms at a gas stark n let alone buy wood for smoking

Disclaimer Buccees in TX is a lifestyle and not a gas station

+1  Love me some Buccees

On 8/23/2019 at 7:42 PM, Scott Roberts said:

Stuff like this sold at most US Gas stations here on the upper east coast!

Scott

BRCPremiumfirewood.thumb.jpg.7e6d5aa96292b055477adf10e734cb51.jpg

Hi Scott mostly curious why the question? I imagine its safe as it says its all hardwood. I can’t imagine it would be treated but flavour will be the main issue imo. I’d amazon some chunk if you don’t have a bbq-supply nearby. You are better of with some hardwood that will add flavor over kiln dried. And one bag goes a long long way. 

As long as it's hardwood there would be nothing wrong with it. Pretty much any BBQ wood you buy in a normal store (be it splits, chunks or chips) is going to be kiln dried. Otherwise stores would risk getting a bug infestation in the store. I use kiln dried post oak in my WFO and Nuke Delta grill all the time. 

If that's your cooker then "sticks" are the wrong fuel, you should be buying lump charcoal for that type of cooking, such as Fogo or any of the many fine brands that can be shipped to you.

You have to wait until the wood burns down to coals anyway, so why not just start with coals?

1 hour ago, Chasdev said:

If that's your cooker then "sticks" are the wrong fuel, you should be buying lump charcoal for that type of cooking, such as Fogo or any of the many fine brands that can be shipped to you.

You have to wait until the wood burns down to coals anyway, so why not just start with coals?

I'll have to disagree with this one. In my NuKe Delta I burn sticks but some people burn lump. Yes you do have to wait until the sticks mostly burn down to glowing coals. The key word is "mostly". There is a distinct flavor advantage to burning sticks. Your food gets kissed with hot smoke. It's a different but very pleasant flavor profile compared to lump. At this point for straight up grilling the only grill I want to use is the Nuke Delta grill burning sticks. 

Scott, I can't wait to see the cooks you do on that grill. There will be a slight learning curve using sticks but once you get it figured out you will be pleasantly surprised with the flavor of the food coming off that grill. Go Scott!!