Joel_L

Soapstone - cleaing tips?

Hi everyone, I purchased a soapstone recently and am really happy with it. Smash burgers and steak searing has been phenomenal.

I’m looking for some advice on cleaning. Some people seem to just say water + soap, but I was wondering if there are other tips? Maybe a high-temp cook?

Cheers,

Joel

Thanks Chris & John, will give it a try. I usually do try to clean as much as possible while it’s still hot. Most difficult part of the soapstone so far is that it stays so hot for a long time making it more difficult to handle. Soapstone is more difficult to pick up and flip upside down while hot.

If KJ ever makes a v2 soapstone, it would be nice if it had a small ident or lip to help pick it up (although that would probably make it more fragile)

I usually flip but you can toss it in the dishwasher once its cooled off and comes clean.. never looking original anymore because of heat/smoke hitting it but either way a clean surface and great to cook with!

On 8/26/2019 at 1:20 AM, Joel_L said:

Thanks Chris & John, will give it a try. I usually do try to clean as much as possible while it’s still hot. Most difficult part of the soapstone so far is that it stays so hot for a long time making it more difficult to handle. Soapstone is more difficult to pick up and flip upside down while hot.

If KJ ever makes a v2 soapstone, it would be nice if it had a small ident or lip to help pick it up (although that would probably make it more fragile)

Joe,

get a pair of heat resistant gloves. They're great for changing configuration of the Joe and handling cast iron. My .02