NVRider

Is this the “reverse ring of fire”?

I was looking for a way to use my Akorn for larger cooks than my Akorn Jr., but not that much larger. I really did not want to light the entire fire box for a smaller cook. I don’t have a charcoal fence, and piling the charcoal on one side just didn’t do it for me. I wanted something just on the center, circular grate. That way I could grill vegetables, shrimp, buns, etc. indirectly around the center. Kind of like the old hibatchi my parents had as a kid.

Here is what I came up with (or most likely someone before me but I never saw it). It is that time of the year when WallyWorld is placing all their BBQ gear on clearance. Depending on the store, or really the store manager, and how fast they want to make room for all the Christmas stuff, you can find some real bargains. I picked up this charcoal chimney for $3. Thinking I could always use a spare. I had the chimney next to my Akorn readying for the next grill off, when I looked at the center grate and the chimney. In a ‘Homer Simpson’ voice I heard “mmmm circles”. I wondered, could I be so lucky? It fit PERFECTLY! I removed the plastic handle, placed it in the Akorn, filled with lump charcoal, and fired it up (from the top). What I got was a direct fire sear for my steaks and chops with a lower heat grill surface for everything else around the center. Add the swivel rack above the grill, and I have even more versatility.

I just finished my third trial run last night to make sure this was no fluke. The result is a center hi-temp grilling surface with a huge indirect grilling surface for just about anything you want. The reverse sear on the steaks worked perfect. The benefit for me was not having to adjust anything to get the temperature zones I want. Also, the amount of charcoal used was insanely small. It burns from the top, down. Best part; I have a built-in ash basket. Just shake and refill. My only mistake. Not getting pictures with food on the grill. Sorry. You’ll just have to trust me on this one.

20190825_102707.jpg

20190825_102545.jpg

20190825_102600.jpg

Edited by NVRider

8 hours ago, NVRider said:

... I had the chimney ... placed it in the Akorn, filled with lump charcoal, and fired it up ...

Alton Brown beat you to it... albeit without the Akorn. 

Frank

2 hours ago, TKOBBQ said:

Check out a product called a Vortex.  I believe  Owens BBQ and MadHunkey sell them.

http://ww.owensbbq.com/vortex.html

https://madhunkymeats.com/product/vortex-thunderdome/

I didn't think I had anything original, although $3 sounds a whole lot better than $43. Of course I didn't get any wing seasoning either.

Temps around the center ranged from 300 to 400 depending upon the distance from the center. I had the lid closed the entire time.

I can't see any reason why not to have the lid open if you have a "social gathering" standing around with friends admiring your work while discussing quantum physics. ;o) When you need a quick sear for an appetizer, just tong something over on the center grate. Bam!

Best thing is, if you get low on charcoal, just pop the center grate and add a few lumps. You can go all day like this.

6 hours ago, NVRider said:

Temps around the center ranged from 300 to 400 depending upon the distance from the center. I had the lid closed the entire time.

I can't see any reason why not to have the lid open if you have a "social gathering" standing around with friends admiring your work while discussing quantum physics. ;o) When you need a quick sear for an appetizer, just tong something over on the center grate. Bam!

Best thing is, if you get low on charcoal, just pop the center grate and add a few lumps. You can go all day like this.

BAM!