How to hold high heat when grilling

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but as I have been gaining experience with the Akorn I have come upon a great way to prevent temperature drops in the Akorn when grilling at higher heat.

I use this Camp Chef cast iron pizza pan upside down as a diffuser. Got mine at Wally World for a little over $20. Then I place the Akorn grate above that.

Don't have to worry about cracking my stone at higher temps and it works great. I just get the temp to where I want it then close the vents half way or so. When I open and close the lid while grilling the temp drops somewhat but it is right back to where it was in a short time. The cast iron really holds the heat. You still have to keep your eye on the temp so it doesn't run away but like I said, close the vents halfway or so and it has been staying right where I want it pretty much so far. 

Hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken, that kind of thing. I'm liking it and just thought I'd mention it if it ends up being helpful for anyone else.

8FBA3877-0B6B-46EF-9CC9-E91AB73329D9.JPG

Also when grilling just because the temperature dropped on the thermometer doesn't really mean the temperature for grilling dropped. When you open the dome a bunch of cold air comes in hitting the thermometer and making the temperature on thermometer drop. You then have to replace that cold air with hot air before the thermometer temperature rises. 

Meanwhile down at the grate the temperature is about the same. It may even be going up once the coals start consuming that fresh oxygen. 

11 hours ago, ckreef said:

Also when grilling just because the temperature dropped on the thermometer.............

Good point.

Also I forgot to mention I feel like the heat is a lot more even. I was having issues where one side of the grill seemed hotter, etc. Doesn't happen as much using this.

I'm liking it, hope it helps someone else also...

44 minutes ago, Doug123 said:

Good point.

Also I forgot to mention I feel like the heat is a lot more even. I was having issues where one side of the grill seemed hotter, etc. Doesn't happen as much using this.

I'm liking it, hope it helps someone else also...

I'm sure it helps even the heat out. 

Everyone just needs to remember when straight up high heat grilling - opening the dome (which you have to do) takes the actual dome thermometer temperature out of the equation. This is where the Zen of grilling comes into play - trust your senses, go with your instincts.................... B)

Cast iron can definitely be used (quite safely) as a "heat battery" and if you think it provides more stable temperatures, go for it.  You might well be right.  (The ceramic of a conventional kamado has a similar effect.)

The temperature on the lid gauge will naturally drop anytime you open the lid but should return to its previous setting within a minute or so.