Charcoal Addict

Competition Grade Cupcake Chicken

I made some tasty Cupcake Chicken tonight using the recipe from Cook’s Country (AKA America’s Test Kitchen in the woods).

I stuck to the recipe with the exception of using Whiskey Bent’s Poultry Rub.  They came out pretty awesome, tender, flaky and juicy.  I used a Kamado with a Cherry wood Chunk.  I’ve never understood why ATK loved to promote wood chips.  For me it’s always wood chunks or bust.  This meal was a heat excuse to roast up some fresh Alberta grown Vegetables from the Farmers Market.

The Chicken was braised in a foil pan in the indirect side.  I used the direct heat to roast the garden fresh vegetables.   The Joe was set to 325 F at the Dome, 350 F at the grate. The chicken thighs were braised in the braising liquid for 30 minutes.  They were finished over a period of another 40 minutes over in-direct heat over the half of the grill with no lump.  

I glazed them twice at the 15 and 30 minute mark to get that glossy competition chicken finish.  I rotated them careful to make sure they all cooked evenly.  They pulled at 178 F. 

The recipe is here.  I think I did a pretty good job nailing their recipe but mine better because I cooked my cupcake chicken over wood.

B64AED1A-2CF8-4EE1-BA9C-BF055202080A.jpeg

0274C60D-A963-47CB-B303-C800B0B43432.jpeg

852F51F0-7683-4EA1-8C9E-F69DB5B875F3.jpeg

9C822975-D8F9-4479-8D13-B7E1ED944E0C.jpeg

7350E148-11E8-405B-A0EB-066019C147D0.jpeg

E3A179D7-E231-47C6-918B-40C9E41030E1.jpeg

9513B8C4-1A41-4166-9EF3-C74114383F53.jpeg

DFD0D83F-D18A-419A-B9A6-E1361A6738B6.jpeg

A09FA39F-8F71-4945-A551-CDDC147A2AA6.jpeg

E87F6A2B-3270-4179-A872-4C950248CE71.jpeg

I'm sure cooking it over wood must have brought it to a whole different level. I actually saw that episode on TV and always wanted to give it a try. Looks like and sounds like you nailed it.

4 minutes ago, Ron5850 said:

I'm sure cooking it over wood must have brought it to a whole different level. I actually saw that episode on TV and always wanted to give it a try. Looks like and sounds like you nailed it.

They don’t give you any working temps.  I settled for 325F at the dome 350 F at the grate on the hot side.  You can’t turn Your Kamado on high and cool it down easily.  

ATK will use gassers for many of their cooks since it’s what people have at home.  I don’t know why they keep teaching people to use chips on Kettles. 

I’ve never had an issue using wood chunks on a kettle when I had one.

I didn’t want the indirect side to go past 300 F for the brazing.

Looks great. I've seen chicken cooked in muffin pans in bbq competitions but have never tried it myself. Look forward to trying it out. In competitions, the competitors normally removed the big vein inside the thigh and they'll trim off the excess fat.

15 hours ago, kamadoplanet said:

Looks great. I've seen chicken cooked in muffin pans in bbq competitions but have never tried it myself. Look forward to trying it out. In competitions, the competitors normally removed the big vein inside the thigh and they'll trim off the excess fat.

I went as far as scraping the fat from the skin... it really affected the flavor and texture.  I’ll never do it again.

19 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

They don’t give you any working temps.

ATK will use gassers for many of their cooks since it’s what people have at home. 

Yes, I notice that. I think even if they don't want to test on other types of grills, they could give a guide on temperature. Maybe they just don't want people to worry to much about temp. They certainly don't mind over complicating every other aspect of a cook. 

Anyhow, thanks for the info, I want to try this, looks great.