Labor Day Charcoal Sale/Deals-Post Here If You Find Them

11 hours ago, homerkj said:

I've been looking for the 30lbs RO for months.  I live in the greater Philadelphia area.  I know Walmart sells it but haven't found any.

Does this actually exist??  Even online shows OOS.

I bought a 30# bag at the Costco Road Show about a month ago. They had a pallet stacked up. Good price, of course. I hope they are back b4 I run out.  OOPs...I just noticed you were looking for RO, not KJ BB. Costco had the BB.

Edited by JohnnyAppetizer
correction

19 minutes ago, JohnnyAppetizer said:

I bought a 30# bag at the Costco Road Show about a month ago. They had a pallet stacked up. Good price, of course. I hope they are back b4 I run out.  

That would be a Costco roadshow.  They generally only last a week. Search for the schedule, you might find another one in your area.  

Todays flyer

9/5/2019 Walmart has RO 15.4 lbs. , $9.87.

I know they don't all stock it, my local Walmart carries next to no charcoal. My trip down Broad Street yesterday, 2 Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart. Walmart has that and the 30 pound, but nothing had a price. When I walked up to the checkout at the other end of the store, the woman barely spoke English. Useless.

One Lowes only had RO briquets, no lump, no KJ. The other had a 20 lb. bag of KJ BB, the salesman said it was on sale over the weekend. But it was not in the labor day sales flyer, I looked.  

So YMMV. I will check back at Walmart tomorrow and roll up with a bag of 30 lb. and 15.4 lb. and buy one or the other, armed with the sales flyer.

9 hours ago, JohnnyAppetizer said:

Todays flyer

9/5/2019 Walmart has RO 15.4 lbs. , $9.87.

I know they don't all stock it, my local Walmart carries next to no charcoal. My trip down Broad Street yesterday, 2 Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart. Walmart has that and the 30 pound, but nothing had a price. When I walked up to the checkout at the other end of the store, the woman barely spoke English. Useless.

One Lowes only had RO briquets, no lump, no KJ. The other had a 20 lb. bag of KJ BB, the salesman said it was on sale over the weekend. But it was not in the labor day sales flyer, I looked.  

So YMMV. I will check back at Walmart tomorrow and roll up with a bag of 30 lb. and 15.4 lb. and buy one or the other, armed with the sales flyer.

Isn't $9.87 the normal price for that size at Walmart?  Also hello neighbor. 

2 hours ago, RVA Smoker said:

Isn't $9.87 the normal price for that size at Walmart? 

I don't know, Nothing in that department had a price on it. I do know 8 lb. is $7-$8 at Kroger and other places around town. Sale or not, $9.87   for 15 lb. seems like a good buy. Yes, I noticed RVA !

edit:

FYI, in todays email https://www.homedepot.com/p/Royal-Oak-15-44-lb-100-All-Natural-Hardwood-Lump-Charcoal-198228021/206732872?cm_mmc=hd_email-_-A-BR2-_-20190906_RTGSMART_3446557-_-BRT_Product_Hero_Image&et_rid=119273781

Even though its not listed as a sale Walmart has had both Western Lump 30# for ~$10 and Royal Oak 'premium' briquettes for 2x18# for ~$9 which has been killer. The former is a solid lump product that sparks a bit on lighting, but otherwise behaves as you'd expect decent lump charcoal to behave. Overall I've been pretty happy with the quality and size of the pieces in each bag. Been through 2 bags so far and 4 more to go. I highly suggest it for the price since other lump charcoal runs the gambit of prices from affordable to crazy. It's hard to argue against given the $/lbs you're getting. For the latter product it's a massive bang for the buck if you just need a quick cook with  cheap disposable charcoal. Sometimes I use it in the chimney as a starter for a lump charcoal burn since it sits more uniformly in the small chimney I have. It functions well enough, though the appearance is not great - poorly pressed briquettes that break up if jostled too much. I've smoked a good bit on it and can say it's price point is solid too compared to Kingsford Blue on sale. You're lucky to find that stuff for 2x18# for $10 these days. Typically the lowest I've seen Kingsford blue is $12-14 as of late. Regardless as much as I want to deviate away from those items and try new charcoal products(a bit of an addiction) the price point at which they can be picked up now really lends to stockpiling until next year's sales. Overall this Labor day doesn't seem to have great charcoal sales unless you find a local store one-off that suits you.