Aj89

Monolith advice please!

Hi guys, 

Looking at getting my first ceramic cooker. Currently the choice is between the kamado Joe Classic 2 and the Monolith Pro Classic. Found plenty of KJ reviews but little on the Monolith. Looks like it comes with more bells and whistles for a few quid less, but does anyone have any experience with it? 

Cheers! 

I had never heard of a Monolith Series, being on the wrong side of the pond... but the people at Kamado Joe should have taken a look at the Monolith firebox design's system of holding up the ceramic "petals".  The KJ sheetmetal cap design is turning up a lot of instances of warping, BAD warping in some cases.

Tom

On 8/30/2019 at 2:57 PM, Aj89 said:

Hi guys, 

Looking at getting my first ceramic cooker. Currently the choice is between the kamado Joe Classic 2 and the Monolith Pro Classic. Found plenty of KJ reviews but little on the Monolith. Looks like it comes with more bells and whistles for a few quid less, but does anyone have any experience with it? 

Cheers! 

Hi aj89,

I was in the same situation as you a couple of months ago!

I went with the monolith pro classic in the end. It was a very close call between the 2 since both have their strengths over each other. Something which is easily missunderstood though is you get a lifetime warranty on the monolith pro series (older ones only get 10 years though).

When I seen them both in person, side by side I was more impressed with the monolith's external quality. Internal was the same.

For me it came down to either:

air lift lid,

better top vent,

better gasket.

or:

stainless banding and hinges,

stainless charcoal basket,

woodchip feed system,

wooden (better?) handle/side shelves.

prices were within £100 of each other so i ignored that since it was a hard decision anyway lol.

Just go with the one that you lean towards because there is no wrong choice.

If you have any questions or want some pics to help decide then just message me, info on the Monolith is a little short and it may seem the risky choice.

thanks

adam

L

On 9/4/2019 at 10:27 PM, AK-g said:

Hi aj89,

I was in the same situation as you a couple of months ago!

I went with the monolith pro classic in the end. It was a very close call between the 2 since both have their strengths over each other. Something which is easily missunderstood though is you get a lifetime warranty on the monolith pro series (older ones only get 10 years though).

When I seen them both in person, side by side I was more impressed with the monolith's external quality. Internal was the same.

For me it came down to either:

air lift lid,

better top vent,

better gasket.

or:

stainless banding and hinges,

stainless charcoal basket,

woodchip feed system,

wooden (better?) handle/side shelves.

prices were within £100 of each other so i ignored that since it was a hard decision anyway lol.

Just go with the one that you lean towards because there is no wrong choice.

If you have any questions or want some pics to help decide then just message me, info on the Monolith is a little short and it may seem the risky choice.

thanks

adam

Thanks for the info. I'm actually going to be going down to BBQ Land in Hitchin at some point over the next couple of weeks and have a look. My only concern with the Monolith is the flap for adding more smoking chips. Is it sturdy? Will it randomly fall open in a cook? I like the wooden tables on the cart more than the plastic. Also, what do you make of their version of the Kamado Joe rack and the drip tray? Does the tray sit directly on the deflector? 

If you mean the 'smart grid system' as an alternative to the 'divide and conquer' then i would say its just as good but for different reasons.

The Smart Grid System has 4 tiers for each half grid....but you can only use the bottom tier with any other tier at once (top tier cant be used with middle tier, just the bottom tier etc) This probably gives the Divide And Conquer more combinations?

the Divide And Conquer has a slightly bigger cooking area.

the Smart Grid System can be lifted out with one hand (cooking grids, frame, drip trays and deflectors). Great for changing configurations while the lid is shut. Not sure how easy this would be with the Divide And Conquer.

the drip tray sits directly on top of the deflector plates, any fat that drips in just burns off and adds to the smokey flavour, but if you want to use them as a water tray then you possibly may need ( I have not tried yet) to put something underneath them so they dont get as hot and dry out.

Congratulations on your new purchase, That is a great fit!

The next bit is deciding what to cook first:)

Post some pics of your cooks once you get fired up;) Im still learning mine since I have only had it a couple of months (never used kamado's before).

Just curious, what made you go for the Monolith in the end?

thanks

Adam

Cooked some brie and caramelised onion stuffed burgers on it. 

Went for this one cos the build quality seemed better and it was a damn sight cheaper than the KJ. Absolutely fantastic bit of kit. 

Filled one side of the basket with coal and set up for indirect grilling. Cooked the burgers to about 55C and then finished off on direct heat

received_377609219575951.jpeg

received_925185761176399.jpeg

Did a roast pork last night. Was so juicy. Just over an hour to cook at 200C. What impressed me was how easy it is to keep the temp stable. Crackling wasn't as crispy as I'd liked and I think I overdid it on the smoking chips. But otherwise, a great cook! 

IMG_20190908_165218.jpg

received_3342795685745598.jpeg