BBQ Guru Ceramic Adapter

fafrd

Has anyone used one of these ceramic adaptors for the BBQ Guru?

I can't quite figure out how they are supposed to work so any description and/or pics would be greatly appreciated...

image.jpeg.2ab5e56951c825f9dcce6d8f9121f3b1.jpeg

Is the upper piece supposed to be pushed up into the upper rail after to entire thing is positioned into the lower rail?  Does this 'solution' work well?

Here is one installed (gray port plug inserted at the moment). Manipulate it into place. Push the whole thing down into the lower rail and then push the upper piece into the top rail to get a tighter fit. Lastly close the vent behind the entire unit as far as it'll go without blocking the hole. Yes it works fine. 

guruadapter.thumb.jpg.5334f63a170eef60fc42334a0c138c8e.jpg

7 minutes ago, ckreef said:

Here is one installed (gray port plug inserted at the moment). Manipulate it into place. Push the whole thing down into the lower rail and then push the upper piece into the top rail to get a tighter fit. Lastly close the vent behind the entire unit as far as it'll go without blocking the hole. Yes it works fine. 

guruadapter.thumb.jpg.5334f63a170eef60fc42334a0c138c8e.jpg

Thanks.  So the entire height is obviously just short enough to slip past the upper guide once the bottom is positioned into the lower guide, right?

And can I assume the little folded piece at the top pushes up into the top guide relatively easily to lock the entire plate into place?

And you are obviously happy with how effectively is shuts down airflow with the port plug installed, right?

Looks like I need to get me one of these adapters for my Kamado next Tuesday (they are already closed for the long weekend)...

Yes to all your questions. Check out my lump comparison thread. I use the grill in the picture for all the low-n-slow tests in that thread. Shuts down without issue. 

BTW I hid your other post since it was a duplicate. 

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

Yes to all your questions. Check out my lump comparison thread. I use the grill in the picture for all the low-n-slow tests in that thread. Shuts down without issue. 

BTW I hid your other post since it was a duplicate. 

Thanks.

On the subject of BBQ Guru (or whatever your favorite PID + vent-control fan is), where do you place your probe?

Through the thermometer hole near the top of the dome or closer to the cooking surface?

I have a Guru and I use one probe for the grill temp and mount it right to the grill. Th other probes go into whatever meat I am cooking. I spread the wires out along the edge of the grill seal, so there isn't much of a bulge to interfere with the seal. I have been very happy with mine for many years now.

1 hour ago, fafrd said:

Thanks.

On the subject of BBQ Guru (or whatever your favorite PID + vent-control fan is), where do you place your probe?

Through the thermometer hole near the top of the dome or closer to the cooking surface?

That's an interesting question. I bought this controller for the low-n-slow lump comparison tests. I've only used it twice with food on the grill. I have the most used kamado and the most used controller with the least amount of food. 

Once I finally finish the lump comparison tests and the winter comes on I'll start using the Oval Jr and CyberQ for most food cooks. 

16 hours ago, ckreef said:

That's an interesting question. I bought this controller for the low-n-slow lump comparison tests. I've only used it twice with food on the grill. I have the most used kamado and the most used controller with the least amount of food. 

Once I finally finish the lump comparison tests and the winter comes on I'll start using the Oval Jr and CyberQ for most food cooks. 

Got it, so your not really a BBQ Guru user yet, at least for cooking,

How have you been controlling low and slow on Kamado smokes?

Are there many BBQ Guru owners here on the Forum?

I got a BBQ Guru with my Fatboy and it was fantastic but that pro-grade smoker was do temperatute stable that I only ended up using it for overnight brisket.

For ribs and smoked turkey on thanksgiving, minot adjustments of the vents hourly maintained temps within +/--10F.

From my one rib smoke on my ceramic Kamado (LG24), these cookers are not as temperature stable and need babysitting at least every 15 minutes if not more.

Hence the interest to get the adaptor so I can use the Guru fan with the Kamado.

36 minutes ago, fafrd said:

From my one rib smoke on my ceramic Kamado (LG24), these cookers are not as temperature stable and need babysitting at least every 15 minutes if not more.

I bet few have ever run a Kamado with as much ceramic under the lid as you did in that cook. The reduction in air flow from the fire may have contributed to temp issues.

It's why I suggested you go back to basics and learn your Kamado using the basic components. Experience cooking with wood is different from experience with Kamados. You ought to get 10-20 hours with just a couple adjustments, once up to temp. Remember that @ckreef got the controller for test purposes, not because he had problems with temperature control. 

Have fun,

Frank

I've done low-n-slow in an Akorn, Akorn Jr, 16" KK, 19" KK and the Primo Oval Jr. I never really had too much problems with long cooks once I got the basic idea worked out. 

Yes I got the CyberQ Blue version for test purposes at least that was the excuse I gave to Mrs skreef B)

I have used it on a couple of food cooks since I bought it. I do love it and will probably use it on all low-n-slow cooks going forward. 

28 minutes ago, ckreef said:

I've done low-n-slow in an Akorn, Akorn Jr, 16" KK, 19" KK and the Primo Oval Jr. I never really had too much problems with long cooks once I got the basic idea worked out. 

Yes I got the CyberQ Blue version for test purposes at least that was the excuse I gave to Mrs skreef B)

I have used it on a couple of food cooks since I bought it. I do love it and will probably use it on all low-n-slow cooks going forward. 

Yeah, don’t get me wrong - I cooked low and slow for years without ever thinking twice about adjusting vents.  Didn’t know anything about automatic temperature control and never saw the need.  It just went with the territory.

Then just as I was getting into all-night brisket cooks and starting to feel the pain of staying up essentially all night to assure temperatures neither spiked nor dropped too low, I got the Fatboy and they are the ones that recommended a BBQ Guru.

Once you experience temperature control, it’s hard to go back.  As I said, I eventually stopped using the BBQ guru when smoking ribs on the Fatboy because temps could be easily maintained through manual vent adjustments whenever I was rotating ribs anyway, so it was easier to skip setting up the guru.

From my one and only low and slow experience on the Kamado, I had to monitor and adjust on a higher-frequency schedule than the hourly schedule I typically use when smoking ribs.  I already have a BBQ guru and will need it for brisket, so using it to take on task of maintain temps for ribs is a no-brainer.

I’m still learning the vent controls on the LG24, but my sense is that it is always heating slowly or cooling slowly and I’m not sure it’s easy to have confidence that rate of slow heating or slow cooling can be controlled well-enough to be certain it won’t change temps by more than +/-10-25F over the course of an hour...

1 hour ago, fbov said:

I bet few have ever run a Kamado with as much ceramic under the lid as you did in that cook. The reduction in air flow from the fire may have contributed to temp issues.

That doesn't make much sense.

Reduction in airflow can impact smoke flavor and moisture, but no temperature when cooking low and slow.  My bottom vent was only open 1/16".  At 200F, very little energy/burning/airflow/heatflow is needed to mai tain temps ad the entire Kamado is practically at equilibrium (especialky when it is not opened for 6 hours straight).

The 'issue' I had was that the vent sizing did not provide the level of control I needed to maintain temps that low.  Even 1/2 the first row of 6 small holes on the intake vent was way yo much airflow once I got to 200F.  I had to refuce to the leakage flow into the left end of the vent (which is about 10-holes equivalent) and then had to start slicing and dicing that down further to get the airflow where it needed to be.

~1/16" wide resulted in slow cooling, ~3/32" wide resulted in slow heating - manually manipulating mechsnical controls at that granularity is no way to control temperature.

With the BBQ Guru fan in place, even without electronic control, there is a manual slider that allows airflow to be easily manually controlled at far finer granularity.

Ant that is how I controlled the Fatboy for ribs - with the BBG Guru fan for manual intake vent control but without the Guru itself hooked up and controlling the fan (no probe).

Once I have the fan adapter for my LG24 hoojed up, I may decide the Guru itself is not needed, merely the finer manual controls on intake vent settibgs provided by the fan.

1 hour ago, fbov said:

It's why I suggested you go back to basics and learn your Kamado using the basic components. Experience cooking with wood is different from experience with Kamados. [You ought to get 10-20 hours with just a couple adjustments, once up to temp. Remember that @ckreef got the controller for test purposes, not because he had problems with temperature control. 

Have fun,

Frank

I can't say you're wrong because you have soooo much more experience with these Kamado cookers than me.

But I can say it will surprise me.  Based on my single experience trying to maintain temps of 200F for 6 hours with stock vent controls, I'll be very surprised to discover that I can maintain 200F for 3-6 hours at a time using stock vent controls without need to check and adjust nore often than that (more than 2 adjusments over 10-20 hours once at temp).

Again, with different intake vent controls (or at higher temps), it could be a different story entirely...

@fafrd  at this point I'm all for temperature controllers even though I resisted them for years. With that said a kamado once tuned in and stabilized can easily go 12+ hours without any further adjustment.

I'm with @fbov learn how to control your kamado with the supplied vents. That's how most people do it with great success. Don't stress on exact temperatures. You and the meat will never know the difference between 225* or 275*. The real trick is don't touch the vents once stable. If you do you'll be chasing temps all night long.