Ben S

Pellet Joe

Hmm. On the one hand, a design like this might have legs because the newer insulating pellet cookers seem to work really well. 

On the other hand, the pellet options I am looking at are interesting to me because of massive rectangular grate space and absurd temperature holding ease (which is not highlighted in this video).

This is probably a great idea for people that for whatever reason want to avoid charcoal, and as they show cooking a pizza and other high temp cooks, I imagine the ceramic once heated let's you get to temps that are not realistic with existing pellet options. Very likely not for me, but I think it is neat they are trying it.

Kamados are extremely efficient once the heavy ceramic is at temperature.  As a result, the Pellet Joe may not burn many pellets.  That may reduce the smoke taste even lower than do some pellet pits and it might even create a problem with flame-outs if the controller drops very few pellets in an attempt to stay at the set temperature.  Pellet pits need to have a few pellets dropped periodically to keep a small fire going, like a pilot light.

Neither the Black Olive nor the Icon seemed to be highly regarded by either pellet grill or kamado owners.

6 hours ago, ckreef said:

I believe there will be a resonable market for a pellet fueled kamado. There has already been people on here asking about that in the past. 

Agree. It’s a great looking grill and there is a good amount of interest in pellet grills these days that timing could be perfect.

i remember a few years back (can’t remember brand) but someone has introduced a black one.  It was kind of expensive, not as aesthetically pleasing to look at and (I think) ahead of its time.

a friend at the convention in Germany where this grill was unveiled says that it has an 8# pellet hopper and looks amazing in person.

wondering max temp range and if it will run dual fuel pellets & lump charcoal. 

Either way, I love the grill 

*** EDIT *** as @pmillen points out, I was thinking of the black olive I believe 

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:42 AM, pmillen said:

Kamados are extremely efficient once the heavy ceramic is at temperature.  As a result, the Pellet Joe may not burn many pellets.  

IMO, this combines the worst features of a Kamado and Pellet grill

It looks cool but i dont think it will work as well as a conventional Pellet Grill or Kamado would

On 9/18/2019 at 8:24 PM, Polar Bear said:

IMO, this combines the worst features of a Kamado and Pellet grill

It looks cool but i dont think it will work as well as a conventional Pellet Grill or Kamado would

I'm not sure about that, but it does prompt a few questions:

- How to load an entire hoper of pellets easily, the location doesn't look to lend itself to dumping a bag in

- Changing pellets, often there is a hoper release function for changing your wood species depending on the flavour profile you want

- Grease management, where does it go / how do you clean 

Given KJ pioneered great features to make grilling better like the easy ash removal, air lift hinge etc. I doubt these questions and others don't have equally innovative solutions... I am just not sure outside some promo video clips etc. that we've seen enough to know if these questions are solved or will be a day in the life limiting factor.  

The things that have promise / find exciting about it include

- Moisture retention vs. normal BBQ / pellets

- Wider operating temp range given the efficiency of Kamado's 

- 365 day weather, being from Canada so pellets struggle to maintain temps without adding blankets to make up for their inefficient thermals 

- Rust, ask a Yoder YS640 owner how their grill looks after a season.  at these price points an annual repaint should be required 

- Interoperability with other KJ accessories (i.e. the JoeTisserie), extended grids, half moons, heat deflectors etc.

- size / form factor... this is personal preference, but I've yet to see a pellet integrate as nicely into an outdoor table / kitchen setup as well as built in's for the kamado style cooker.  Being able to do a side by side table with this and my normal KJ III swapping accessories between the two is an appealing idea 

I think for me the list of things to be excited about is much longer than the potential cons which may not even be cons depending on the answers once we have more details.  Count me for one as counting the days to spring 2020 lol 

So, Spring is in a couple of Months

Has anyone seen or heard anymore about this product since it was teased in Sep?

Its not even listed as "coming soon" on the KJ website

Feels like it was an April Fools Day prank that was a few months late to the party

13 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

So, Spring is in a couple of Months

Has anyone seen or heard anymore about this product since it was teased in Sep?

Its not even listed as "coming soon" on the KJ website

Feels like it was an April Fools Day prank that was a few months late to the party

Lol that would break my heart