Interesting Announcement

freddyjbbq

58 minutes ago, Charcoal Addict said:

I would still lean towards a Timberline for my pellet grill.  

Love mine, 1300 D2, wouldn’t trade it for anything. 

Bet it if I cooked ribs in & and the pellet joe  they would come out identical and no one could tell which was cooked on which in a blind taste test. 

3 hours ago, freddyjbbq said:

Love mine, 1300 D2, wouldn’t trade it for anything. 

Bet it if I cooked ribs in & and the pellet joe  they would come out identical and no one could tell which was cooked on which in a blind taste test. 

I prefer the Timberline for the extra Real Estate.  I would bet the Pellet Joe’s biggest advantage over the Timberline will be Pellet use efficiency.   

If the pellet joe also has the hyperbolic insert, it would have an advantage in higher temp pellet cooks at the 400 F above mark.  

I would never use a pellet grill to do cooks above 400 F.  To me, pellet grills are pure smokers and useless for doing searing and high temp cooks. 

3 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

I would never use a pellet grill to do cooks above 400 F.  To me, pellet grills are pure smokers and useless for doing searing and high temp cooks. 

What model pellet grill are you cooking on?

I see people with various makes and models of pellets grills making great cooks at low & high temps, baking, grilling, bbq-ing, smoking, etc. 

3 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I cook above 400 in mine frequently with exceptional results.

Same. 

10 minutes ago, freddyjbbq said:

I see people with various makes and models of pellets grills making great cooks at low & high temps, baking, grilling, bbq-ing, smoking, etc. 

Same. 

What temp do you folks get the treaters up to?   Autocorrect jacking me up. You get my point I assume.

Ever since I got my Akorn and Masterbuilt I only use my Traeger at smoke. After that I transfer to one of the other 2. The only time I use the Traeger above smoke level is if I need to smoke and/or cook a boat load of grub. My traeger is just so fuel hungry above smoke, and especially above 250 it just isn't worth it.

I do not have a Timberline yet, but I agree with the others. The big attraction to me is the ease and the massive rectangular space. The second I can find a dealer in my state so I am not paying tax or shipping and I will probably break. I was at the beach today looking at a big dealer but no timberlines...

It would not replace my kamados but it would get me cooking outside more and providing bigger cooks. 

On an empty patio, a pellet Joe is probably an awesome idea, but sitting here with the charcoal ones available, I do not see a role. 

Edited by gotzero

14 hours ago, freddyjbbq said:

Same. 

It’s not an issue of performance.  It’s an issue of cost.  Pellet Grills blow through pellets at temps above 400 F.  Pellets are more expensive in Canada.

I’d rather use a KJ for those higher temp cooks.  It’s a wallet issue when purchasing good quality pellets.  

If you use Traeger pellets you’re at a $1.10 CAD a pound.  If you use any high quality brand, you’re at $2.00 a pound.  

2 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

It’s not an issue of performance.  It’s an issue of cost.  Pellet Grills blow through pellets at temps above 400 F.  Pellets are more expensive in Canada.

I’d rather use a KJ for those higher temp cooks.  It’s a wallet issue when purchasing good quality pellets.  

If you use Traeger pellets you’re at a $1.10 CAD a pound.  If you use any high quality brand, you’re at $2.00 a pound.  

1) some people will want an all in one Swiss Army knife.  This might be close. 

2) once you heatsoak the pellet joe, I bet it sips pellets. 

3 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

It’s not an issue of performance.  It’s an issue of cost.  Pellet Grills blow through pellets at temps above 400 F.  

Again, for sake of comparison, which specific pellet grill are you cooking with and can you clarify “blowing through” by estimating the standard of lbs used per hour?

i don’t find my timberline or ironwood to consume an unrealistic amount of fuel but if we’re going to continue discussing this point I’m wondering what grill type I’m comparing to?  

Do you own/cook on a pellet grill or just going off of what you’ve heard? 

23 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

I prefer the Timberline for the extra Real Estate.  I would bet the Pellet Joe’s biggest advantage over the Timberline will be Pellet use efficiency.   

If the pellet joe also has the hyperbolic insert, it would have an advantage in higher temp pellet cooks at the 400 F above mark.  

Curious why you think pellet efficiency isn’t good on the timberline? 

I can tell you that my trageers have literally replaced every aspect of my cooking needs with the exception of open fire char on my steak.  

I cook 375-450 almost exclusively on my Timberline.  

The timberline is double wall steel with an oversized door gasket. The new D2 motor has a multi speed drive that is able to quickly recover temps and maintain heat within +/-5°

4 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

interesting but I think that you are wrong...

traeger gourmet pellets for example in Canadian dollars is far cheaper than average cost charcoal.  

Lets do actual examples of cost break down

Traeger Costco gourmet blend 33 lbs @ 25.99 a bag equates to .787 a lb.  so we will call it .79 a pound.  

Traeger regular bag of pellets 20 lbs at 22.99 a bag equates to 1.149 so we will call it 1.15 a pound.  

Now in canada i prefer maple maple leaf lump charcoal 17.64 lbs for 21.99 a bag equates to 1.246 so we will call it 1.25 a pound.  

Kamado joe big block lump 20lbs at 29.99 a bag equates to 1.499 so we will call it 1.50 a bag.  

So pellets are literally cheaper in Canada where you and I both live.  

What high quality pellet are you referring to at 2.00 a pound?   It’s not pit boss, lumberjack or bbqers delight.  So what ones are you getting this info from.  

Low and slow and grilling I am averaging 1.2 to 1.3 lbs an hour and in winter Lowe and slow is about 1.5 to 1.6. 

High heat isn’t that much worse from winter to summer in the timberline.  I will not make up numbers so I will give you accurate results in the fall and winter soon.  Currently in the warmer months I am seeing about 1.5 pounds an hour during high heat.  

With the new pellet sensor it allows me to accurately measure my cost per hour.  

In all honesty, who cares what you are burning per hour.  If you are worried about that, get a gasser as they burn under .10 an hour ....