Lighting...

T-RoyPDX

I'm a newbie concerning kamado cooking.  I've had a smoker for years (WSM) that I used briquettes and a chimney starter for.  With My Big Joe III, I've tried both Weber fire starters and a MAPP torch.  Right now, I really like using the MAPP as it gets things started in a hurry.  20 or so seconds on a spot and it's lit, vs. waiting for the fire starter to get things going.

Am I missing anything here - seems like using the torch works fast and great vs the slower fire starter method?

I’ve tried several ways to light the lump. I’m using the JJGeorge propane lighter currently and loving it. I liked using the starters as well though, just not the price of them. To me the starters do a really good job at preheating the Kamado which in turns starts pulling air into the firebox to get things moving along. The only other problem and one I despised  with the starters was starting them in the wind when I lived in Wyoming. Other than the price and starting them in the wind, I’d still be using them today. 

glad you mentioned it

I've been using either half or whole chimney of RO. depending on how much fire and /or how long I need a burn.

I either lay down a layer of Big Block an pour the chimney fire on, or vise versa. Have not figured out which works best. On occasion, I made an oreo cookie...BB RO more BB. The Chimney fire usually has leftover block from the last fire.

I've seen videos of torches and fire starters. I have used fire starters on kettle grills, worked good. I always bought them when the local store had them on close out. I don't like the price either. 

7 hours ago, T-RoyPDX said:

I'm a newbie concerning kamado cooking.  I've had a smoker for years (WSM) that I used briquettes and a chimney starter for.  With My Big Joe III, I've tried both Weber fire starters and a MAPP torch.  Right now, I really like using the MAPP as it gets things started in a hurry.  20 or so seconds on a spot and it's lit, vs. waiting for the fire starter to get things going.

Am I missing anything here - seems like using the torch works fast and great vs the slower fire starter method?

The only thing you are missing is extra cash in your wallet.

MAPP (actually MAP/Pro now) is not your father's MAPP gas. It has barely more energy than standard propane for ~ 3x the cost. I still have a couple cylinders of real MAPP gas, but it's only used for plumbing projects.

If you like the speed of the torch light method, switch to propane and save some cash too.

I have a Weber Performer and use the chimney lighter almost exclusively for cooks on it.  However, I found lighter blocks to be foolproof and super easy in my KJ II Classic..

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078X3QVJ1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am never in a big enough hurry to get things going on my KJ  to bother with other lighting methods when the lighter blocks are dead easy.  And I am getting a really good feel for startup times...  lightoff to certain temperatures, etc. and because I start the same way every time, I have a good handle on schedules.

Tom

I use a propane torch to light. Super fast and easy. Firestarters work fine but they are slow. Propane gets things going fast and is super reliable. I cook on kamados a lot and can get years out of a 1lb bottle lighting charcoal. 

If you have real MAPP gas, please save it for things where you need the heat. I am all out here and bummed about it, assumed I would always be able to get more!

Well, well, well.  Now that I look at it (and thanks everyone for their reply’s), I have a MAPP substitute rather than true MAPP. 

My remaining supply is shown in the picture. Still, it’s either MAPP-ish, or propane, vs a fire starter cube. I have both and the cube seems a lot slower. Perhaps it’s a weekday ‘let’s get things moving’ vs a weekend ‘we have time’ night thing where speed is dependent. 

03574D5D-0BA3-4E69-BF9C-EB56B0E92634.jpeg