Newbie advice

Aj89

Hi Guys, 

Should be getting my first kamado at the weekend. What's the best thing for a first cook?

Current BBQ is a cheap barrel one that's primarily for grilling but have been able to sort of smoke on it. Have been able to do baby back ribs successfully on it but that's about it, so was thinking about doing those as I know I can do those.

I did ribs on first cook. Gave me a chance to play with settings. Went 12 hrs 4 for the ribs and 8 for experimenting with settings. Remember to wait for settings to change temp. Just start with small fire at 150 or so close bottom to 1/2 inch and top to 1. make changes small and WAIT for the change. I keep a book on my cooks.  Most of all enjoy the grill

On 9/2/2019 at 3:42 AM, Aj89 said:

Hi Guys, 

Should be getting my first kamado at the weekend. What's the best thing for a first cook?

Current BBQ is a cheap barrel one that's primarily for grilling but have been able to sort of smoke on it. Have been able to do baby back ribs successfully on it but that's about it, so was thinking about doing those as I know I can do those.

Welcome to the club! Ribs sounds great. My first cook was burgers and they were great. If you want to go more kamado-smokey and quick. My go to is leg chicken quarters with big bob Gibson's Alabama white bbq sauce. It’s quick and you still get a hint of smoke ring even after only 40 or so mins on the grill. Recipe i use is below, make sure you throw a handful of hardwood chips on and let the smoke die down a bit and become wispy. 

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/chicken-recipes/big-bob-gibsons-bama-birds-white-bbq-sauce-recipe

1 hour ago, lnarngr said:

Darn It, Man! That looks delectable and I ain't even hungry! 

Oh My Goodness! 

At least I have a day old Tatonut Persian donut hiding in the fridge at work! 

I think you got this. 

So, what brand is your "other" Kamado? Monolith? 

Yeah. Monolith Classic Pro

only thing i can see wrong is the grill is way toooooo clean, needs some ribs and butts done in it . Those burgers look great, do you guys really call them burgers ? Took me a while to figure out a banger was. Learned it in King Ralph. Sad we have to learn about another country from silly movies. All kidding aside, your off to a good start with Monolith.

Also did my Sunday roast on it last night. Roast pork shoulder (Boston butt to you yanks?) about an hour and a bit at 200°C over apple pellets. Came out perfect, only real issue was too much smoke. Crackling wasn't as good as I'd have liked, but when her indoors doesn't like crispy crackling, I'm not that fussed!

IMG_20190908_153030.jpg

IMG_20190908_165218.jpg

received_3342795685745598.jpeg

16 hours ago, len440 said:

only thing i can see wrong is the grill is way toooooo clean, needs some ribs and butts done in it . Those burgers look great, do you guys really call them burgers ? Took me a while to figure out a banger was. Learned it in King Ralph. Sad we have to learn about another country from silly movies. All kidding aside, your off to a good start with Monolith.

We still call a burger a burger. I'm getting it dirtier. Just a shame to take it from a pristine piece of grilling engineering to a sooty one now! 

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 2:49 PM, Aj89 said:

Did a smoked, brie and caramelised onion chutney stuffed burger. Came out lovely! 

Made this last night on the little kettle grill from Aldi. Looked just like yours, GF liked them. Thanks for the idea, always looking for ways to jazz up the regular dinner items.