Sign in to follow this  
MichaelBr

Grill Clean UP

Heeey:)

What are the best ways to clean your grill grates? Share your experienece, I need some life hack ideas!
And one more question: do you guys really always do it straight afterward grilling?:)

Welcome, glad to have you with us. I generally brush the grill grate with a steel long handled brush when I shut down the grill after a cook.   After that I may hit it with one of those synthetic steel wool pads made by 3M when the grate is cold before a cook. I give all my grates a soak in Professional Brewers Wash every 6 months to a year. A 24 hr soak loosens probably 95 percent of the gunk and allows it to come off with a short handled scrub brush. I leave well enough alone, and don't work to hard to get the stubborn little patches. No Harm No Foul. Happy cooking

17 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Welcome, glad to have you with us. I generally brush the grill grate with a steel long handled brush when I shut down the grill after a cook.   After that I may hit it with one of those synthetic steel wool pads made by 3M when the grate is cold before a cook. I give all my grates a soak in Professional Brewers Wash every 6 months to a year. A 24 hr soak loosens probably 95 percent of the gunk and allows it to come off with a short handled scrub brush. I leave well enough alone, and don't work to hard to get the stubborn little patches. No Harm No Foul. Happy cooking

Wow... thanks for the hints :) 
It feels like you are a real expert:good:

4 hours ago, MichaelBr said:

Wow... thanks for the hints :) 
It feels like you are a real expert:good:

Don't know about that, I am just a backyard chef. Plenty of folks on KG that can cook and know what they are doing. The stuff on top of your grates is really not much of a problem as the hot brush  after a cook pretty much liquifies it. It is the greasy gunk that accumulates on the underside of your grate that can sometimes ignite and make a grease fire. I brush the underside every once in a while and loosely follow the routine I mentioned. After all it's BBQ, have a beer and don't work hard enough to lessen the enjoyment.  Another tip is to cook pizza at least once a month. Taking your grill to 600-650 for as long as it takes to heat soak your pizza stone and cook a couple pies,  will burn pretty much all of the grease and carbon out and keep your fire box a nice clean chalky white.  My take anyway 

I have cast iron grates on my Akorn, and I brush it (usually) immediately after cooking, then hit it with oil and set the grill into shutdown mode. That lets the oil cook into another layer of seasoning on the grilling surface.  I use one of those Weber triangular-ish grill brushes, and can't recommend them highly enough.  They last a LONG time, are inexpensive, and do a great job.  They work well on either my cast iron grate or standard round steel grates like on the Big Green Egg.  I have a friend who cooks professionally, and her brush lasts for years.  Yes, it has short metal bristles.  I know some people are paranoid about bristles stuck in the grate and transferring to their food.  The Weber doesn't seem to shed them, and I've said for a long time that if your grate has enough schmutz on it to have bristles stuck in it, it's too dirty to grill food on.  If you keep up the maintenance on your grates, it doesn't take a lot of time or effort.