3547fl

Hurricane Baby Backs

That is interesting, I see you are at the felt line and higher on the second rack. I recently got the cgs woo and that moved me up to the felt line. I cooked ribs yesterday at the felt line with diffuser and drip pan. Looked a lot like the bottom half or your rig. They came out great.

Cgs talks about cooking chicken and brats on the top ring, which would be the felt line. So where do they recommend smoking  brisket, shoulder and the like? At the fire bowl? Or do they use that for steak and burgers and use the higher felt line level for smoking large cuts also? I have smoked a brisket at the fire bowl with the lava stone diffuser and it was great. 

I'm interested in peoples preferences for cooking different cuts and what position they prefer their cooking grate.

8 hours ago, JohnnyAppetizer said:

I'm interested in peoples preferences for cooking different cuts and what position they prefer their cooking grate.

I too am interested and maybe worth starting a new thread. 

I have only ever used the lower position in my kj classic ii when i have run out of room on the top. Or if I'm doing reverse sear on a steak.

I rarely use the removable upper section of the rack, just when I need the extra real estate. I keep the woo in the vision as I usually have a drip pan in that one. I use the Bubba Keg for steaks, burgers, etc.. I did receive a replacement fire bowl and when I installed it my grill sits a bit higher. The original placed the grill right within the felt / lower bowl line, new one has it sitting above that line. Vision says it's the same size. The only issue is you to make sure it's centered when closing the top. I still my stick does a better job on ribs, brisket, etc.. but I might be bias. :)