Wanna impress the misses, Cook This!

Bought some fresh halibut fillet at Cost Co. Really nice fish and probably an inch thick. Used a camp chef griddle and grape seed oil to cook it. Slathered the fish with olive oil and MCcormicks Roasted Garlic and Herb. Got the griddle hot and sprayed it with grape seed oil.  Made a piccata sauce with this recipe. 

4 tbs butter

3 tspns flour

1/2 cup dry white wine

1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice

1/3 cup good chicken broth

3 to 4 tspns capers

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley to finish

Salt and pepper

to this I added some jarred sun dried tomatoes in olive oil. 

For the sauce heat the liquid, to boiling and then reduce the heat to simmer add the butter, and whisk in the flour slowly to avoid lumps. Add the capers and sun dried tomatoes. Easy peasy, my friend. 

Saut'e the fish on your griddle at moderate heat until you get a nice golden brown. You want the center of the fillet at 120 to 130 degs. Make some angel hair pasta and put it in a pasta bowl, place the Halibut ontop of the pasta. Pour the sauce over both. Add a glass or two of  nice dry white wine ( for hydration). Honestly ,probably one of the best dishes I ever cooked. I was tryin to duplicate a similar dish at one of my favorite Italian restaurants. Asked my wife how it was, she got up, leaned over and gave me a kiss. It was amazing. Both the Halibut and the kiss. 

IMG_0587.thumb.jpeg.bfb93298d80be2026ceca542dfa03dd3.jpeg

5 hours ago, Chris Topher said:

Looks great!! Halibut, that bathmat that lives at the bottom of icy cold water, has such a delicate taste that I usually prepare it simply grilled with salt, pepper, and lemon. Sous vide is a great way to prepare halibut. It only take half a microsecond to over cook it. 

Piccata won't mask delicate flavors, It is designed for mild flavored chicken, and delicate fish. Pretty much it is white wine, chicken broth, butter, and lemon juice. The capers work like the lemon juice and just make the natural tastes bright. 

4 hours ago, King19 said:

Nice cook but what does it have to do with Kamado s?

My guess would be a CI griddle in your kamado. I used to have 2 different sized CI griddles for my two different sized KK's. Once I got the propane griddle I quit using the kamado griddles but he did say cook on your griddle. Most people just have griddles for their kamado. 

On 9/5/2019 at 7:01 AM, Chris Topher said:

Looks great!! Halibut, that bathmat that lives at the bottom of icy cold water, has such a delicate taste that I usually prepare it simply grilled with salt, pepper, and lemon. Sous vide is a great way to prepare halibut. It only take half a microsecond to over cook it. 

What temperature sv and would you sear halibut? If so, how? 

4 hours ago, lnarngr said:

What temperature sv and would you sear halibut? If so, how? 

I go 130*F on the sous vide bath, followed by a quick sear (about half a minute on each side). 

Heres a good write-up on sous vide halibut: https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-halibut.html

On 9/6/2019 at 9:20 AM, King19 said:

Nice cook but what does it have to do with Kamado s?

On 9/6/2019 at 1:27 PM, ckreef said:

My guess would be a CI griddle in your kamado. I used to have 2 different sized CI griddles for my two different sized KK's. Once I got the propane griddle I quit using the kamado griddles but he did say cook on your griddle. Most people just have griddles for their kamado. 

Yup, my round Camp Chef griddle fits perfect ontop of the main grate in my Egg. No deflector, just the griddle on the main grate above the coals. The cook does not take very long at all, but I enjoy cooking on charcoal and making a fire.