mountainman00

Brand new Kamado Joe Classic II with broken lid, have to wait weeks for replacement

Just wanted to share my experience with you all because I just dropped $1,000 on a grill with a massive crack in the lid and am not happy with the customer service I have received. I got it from the Atlanta Grill Company and it was a 3 hour round trip to get it back home. Unboxed it to find a crack that was about 8 inches long in the lid. I called and was told to file a warranty claim with Kamado Joe. I did, and it took them almost a week to get back to me. They told me the lids are on backorder and it would be weeks before they could send me a new one. Atlanta Grill Company said I could drive 3 hours round trip back there to get a lid from them, but that's all they could do for me. The crack has gotten bigger and bigger and smoke pours out of it when I grill.

I am less than thrilled.

Also, I wonder that if there isn't a single lid to be found in the entire U.S., then there must be a serious quality control problem going on. Makes me wonder if I should have gone with a Green Egg, and I know that all of my friends who have come over and seen this lid are saying the same thing about their next grill purchase.

Anyway, just wanted to share because I know lots of people come in here looking for their next grill, and this is the experience I have had with mine. 

IMG_0298.JPG

Yes, that would be frustrating especially with a new grill, when all you want to do is cook. Looks like damage from impact after assembly and probably during transit. If the box was undamaged,  as I am guessing it was,  it would be hard for anyone looking at it to know or suspect that the dome or other ceramic components inside the box were damaged. Adding  the back order situation to the damage would certainly make the whole thing even more frustrating. However,  I don't really think this is a customer service fail, sometimes even though it is a major headache,  stuff just happens. Some times production cycles and demand collide and back orders just materialize. I am sure KJ doesn't want to tell you they don't have a dome for you. I am sorry this happened to you. Hopefully KJ will find that they can get you a dome earlier than they originally thought. And by the way, I cook on a BGE, and can tell you I have heard stories of incidents that were equally frustrating to a new  green kamado owner. Hope things are looking up for you this next week. 

I have had the same response from KJ. Fortunately for me I have been able to cook with mine since the cracks are small and not deep. I have Big Joe II that I bought this past February. I have two cracks in the bottom unit and filed my claim last month. I emailed support three times to get updates before they finally sent me a shipment receipt for my bottom unit plus a complimentary CI half moon reversible griddle. I am glad they threw in the freebie but the lack of communication was terrible. If I didn't keep emailing them I wonder if they would've ever gotten around to sending me anything?

With that said, I hope this is just an aberration because I absolutely LOVE my KJ and use it as much as possible. I know there are many factors that cause cracks and even though it's taking a month to get my replacement, I am very happy that they have the lifetime warranty.

The people who sold it could do more, or the manufacturer. It didn't break while you were using or assembling, it was NIB. They could absorb the freight cost to send a new dome. Maybe you would give them an adda boy and some referrals. The seller could talk to the manufacturer about reimbursement of expenses to solve your problem. It will cost both of them more in bad publicity, local sales, than the cost of fixing the problem. It's the right thing to do. Some times you need to take a hit for the customer, and not blame it on the manufacturer's return/warranty policy.

Update: I sent an email to Atlanta Grill Company expressing my strong displeasure and they are going to send me a new lid tomorrow on a shipment that is running between their shop and Athens. I will pick it up and install it myself. 

Not a great way to start out my Kamado Joe experience, but at least I should have a grill that doesn't hemorrhage smoke out of the back every time I use it. 

If I drove 3 hours round trip, that grill woulda been inspected before I left the store.  I only drove 45 min. one way but I opened both crates and inspected before I put them in my trailer.  True, I would not have noticed something on the bottom but a crack on the top that big woulda stuck out like a sore thumb.

10 hours ago, mountainman00 said:

Update: I sent an email to Atlanta Grill Company expressing my strong displeasure and they are going to send me a new lid tomorrow on a shipment that is running between their shop and Athens. I will pick it up and install it myself. 

Not a great way to start out my Kamado Joe experience, but at least I should have a grill that doesn't hemorrhage smoke out of the back every time I use it. 

IMO, AGC seemed to make it right, all things considered. Perfect? Maybe not. But much better than a 3 hour drive or weeks of waiting.

Do what you want, but I wouldn’t let this episode taint your KJ experience. 

One question I ask folks who pick up from us is, how far are you going, in reference to how the grill is loaded.  It makes a difference. 

I had one guy who wanted to buy an xl egg and put it on a small luggage carrier that attaches to the trailer hitch. The family and show dog took all the space in the van. He was driving from denton to houston, 250+ miles. I would not sell you the grill. It took a little explaining but he finally agreed that a bouncy luggage carrier is not a good place for fragile ceramics, especially over 250+ miles.