Heat Deflectors Keep Breaking

timfear

Man, I'm at a loss and would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. I've broken another heat deflector and I just don't know what to do. This is probably the fourth I've broken. Kamado Joe has replaced the broken ones each time (GREAT customer service!) but this is getting ridiculous. I'm babying these things like their made of crystal. They never sit outside,  never get wet... but went to do a cook today and damned if a new one doesn't have a crack.

The warranty won't last forever. Anyone have any ideas? I'm seriously doing nothing weird or unusual. Do both slow and low and high heat for steaks, etc.  And, of course, not at the same time or even on the same day.

Thanks,

I have two big Joe deflectors I have put through crazy situations for 1.5 years, no issues.

I have a big Joe pizza stone I certainly misused, it split, virtually down the middle.

I have classic deflectors I have treated very well, and with the smallest love tap, one cracked within a couple months of ownership. I ordered another pair, and if needed, I will make steel sheet bases for them. 

Sometimes, you just get unlucky. I hope you get a replacement fast and get some awesome cooks in!

There's another recent thread with the same issue. I've cracked 3 and just ordered my second replacement pair. I pretty much only do low and slows in the big joe with the deflectors. One thing I think may cause it is the moisture. I don't use drip pans. Drippings could soak in and cause the cracks? Can you warranty the deflectors if you buy them off of Amazon?

Thanks for the responses. I will admit I don't (usually) use drip pans. I've cooked for about 30 years on a Weber and never used them so transferred that idea to Kamado Joe. But I do turn them each cook to burn the bad stuff off of them and I store them always inside the grill once it cools, with a cover on the grill.

It's crazy though. Since the first couple broke, I handle these things so delicately. Yesterday, after I got the fire where I wanted it, I reached to grab the divide and conquer to put in the Kamado and saw a clean crack, all the way through. There was zero stress on anything. I stopped immediately and came in here to type this question.

Thanks!

On 9/6/2019 at 7:36 AM, timfear said:

Thanks for the responses. I will admit I don't (usually) use drip pans. I've cooked for about 30 years on a Weber and never used them so transferred that idea to Kamado Joe. But I do turn them each cook to burn the bad stuff off of them and I store them always inside the grill once it cools, with a cover on the grill.

It's crazy though. Since the first couple broke, I handle these things so delicately. Yesterday, after I got the fire where I wanted it, I reached to grab the divide and conquer to put in the Kamado and saw a clean crack, all the way through. There was zero stress on anything. I stopped immediately and came in here to type this question.

Thanks!

Interestingly enough, I had my first one break on me after 2 years.  I sent the pics to KJ and the are sending me a new one.  Great customer service and made it super easy.  I did not expect that they would do anything for me, but they are.  

They also included a note that stated that I should wrap the deflectors in Aluminum foil, which should keep them from breaking.  Below, I quoted what they sent, in case I am misreading it.

We will send you replacement heat deflectors. This item is on back order and I would give a few weeks lead time before we receive them at our facility. Tracking information will be sent to you once the order ships. We recommend wrapping the deflectors in aluminum foil to prevent them from cracking/breaking.”

On 9/7/2019 at 9:46 AM, Bgosnell151 said:

Interestingly enough, I had my first one break on me after 2 years.  I sent the pics to KJ and the are sending me a new one.  Great customer service and made it super easy.  I did not expect that they would do anything for me, but they are.  

They also included a note that stated that I should wrap the deflectors in Aluminum foil, which should keep them from breaking.  Below, I quoted what they sent, in case I am misreading it.

We will send you replacement heat deflectors. This item is on back order and I would give a few weeks lead time before we receive them at our facility. Tracking information will be sent to you once the order ships. We recommend wrapping the deflectors in aluminum foil to prevent them from cracking/breaking.”

I was just coming on here to say that I received a note from Kamado Joe suggesting I start wrapping the deflectors in foil. I had never heard that and cannot find it in the manual. I'm sure this is not an isolated situation so they've figured out that fix. I hope it works. They've been great about replacing these, but I'd rather they not have to!

On 9/8/2019 at 6:14 PM, Beermachine said:

Are you putting cold deflectors in a hot grill? That accounts for most of the breaks. I place mine in when I light the fire and let them come up to temperature with the grill.

Actually, that's a great point and maybe that's the problem. I usually take the whole divide and conquer out while I'm starting the fire. Then drop it in - with deflectors - once it's going. I mean, if it's a hot cook I drop them in way before it's at full temperature, but it's also not starting from ambient temperature. 

For slow cook I don't put them in until right before I add meat as I usually drop in a couple of wood chunks. 

Great suggestion. Thanks,

you light the grill, bring it up to temp, add the indirect set-up on D&C, don't use any protection on the stones, flip stones over for next cook whether be low or high heat.............kinds see how it goes bad for the stones.......

t

On 9/6/2019 at 7:36 AM, timfear said:

... I will admit I don't (usually) use drip pans. ...

Depending what you cook, you might want to reconsider. I use foil lasagna pans; lower sides than quarter sheet pans. 

Frank

On 9/5/2019 at 4:48 PM, timfear said:

Man, I'm at a loss and would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. I've broken another heat deflector and I just don't know what to do. This is probably the fourth I've broken. Kamado Joe has replaced the broken ones each time (GREAT customer service!) but this is getting ridiculous. I'm babying these things like their made of crystal. They never sit outside,  never get wet... but went to do a cook today and damned if a new one doesn't have a crack.

The warranty won't last forever. Anyone have any ideas? I'm seriously doing nothing weird or unusual. Do both slow and low and high heat for steaks, etc.  And, of course, not at the same time or even on the same day.

Thanks,

Try a Cast Iron frying pan works excellent . Herman 

download (1).jpg

• 2 years later...

I have the same issue!  I simply picked my deflector up and it broke. I keep them inside and never expose them to water.  I also use drip pans. I think exposing them to high heat (500+ degrees) like a clean, that makes them weaken.  I’m on my third pair of deflectors in 2 years.  Very frustrating. 

1 hour ago, Tom-K said:

I have the same issue!  I simply picked my deflector up and it broke. I keep them inside and never expose them to water.  I also use drip pans. I think exposing them to high heat (500+ degrees) like a clean, that makes them weaken.  I’m on my third pair of deflectors in 2 years.  Very frustrating. 

Sorry for your troubles, that would frustrate me as well. I use my deflectors as pizza stones and regularly take them to 650. Actually never broke or cracked one except when I tried to carry too much stuff and dropped one. I have had the same stones for years.  I use BGE and CGS cordierite stones and a cordierite  kiln stone from a ceramic supply. All my stones are  1/2 and  5/8' thick.  I always  put my stones in when I lite my grill and let them come to temp slowly, usually takes an hour before I ready to cook. 

WHERE in your grill are you using them?

I see a lot of videos where owners are dropping their deflectors right down, deep in the firebox, and then lighting a 500 degree cook, using the deflector to prevent scorching.  

My Broil King grilling stone is almost 10 years old and has done hundreds of cooks from 225 to 800 degrees, but the one thing I would never do is place it CLOSE to the coals when the temps are at 350+....I always use it on a much higher position at high temps + indirect. 

Example...I use a position like this ONLY for low/slow cooks....but I've seen many video/pics where owners have an inferno raging below = cracked fire box/defector.

image.thumb.png.2a2db4ff78cfe38b9634e6954f9b2460.png