Sign in to follow this  
MickeyTheShoe

Another Pizza Cook

Hi everyone, another pizza cook on the DoJoe. This time i back hydration down to 65%. I made a mistake with the yeast, added to little (.03% vs .3%) and didn’t compensate with more time on the 1st rise. Ended up over proofing the dough on the second rise. so it was a little flabby to work with. Still not bad, still tasted pretty good. Dojoe got to 550, pies took about 8 minutes (cooked 3) Im going to try to bring it up to 650 next time, get more spring in the crust and cut the time down a bit. 

E7FB82F6-676C-4A9E-B2E6-6876BC998F89.jpeg

D35FC08B-48A6-42EC-843B-9990E1C89D04.jpeg

626C2CA4-94DA-4522-B352-B8F8AF5EFFA0.jpeg

757FFA48-FF81-4662-82C6-28F2995CC5AF.jpeg

81A8A360-1D0C-4B1E-9D09-A343CF397D76.jpeg

3 hours ago, dh14ster said:

Great job! And look, you just started making these a couple of weeks ago. Store bought or take out pizza can't compete with what you are doing. I'm sure the family's happy.

Thank you! Yes, takeout really isn’t as satisfying on any level, especially price or level of satisfaction from eating it. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By MickeyTheShoe
      Hi All, has anyone used a 1/4 piece of steel as their top stone. If you have how did it go? Im wondering if it would help the undercarriage cook faster. Similar to this:

https://shop.bakingsteel.com/collections/steels/products/baking-steel-round

Sorry if it’s been covered, I tried doing a search but didn’t have much luck. 
    • By Rob_grill_apprentice
      Earlier this year I bought camp chef explorer 2 from Cabela’s when they had a good sale.   I also bought the Camp Chef italia Artesian pizza oven 60 accessory.   I have practiced using the pizza accessory the past 2 months making pizza on it, to understand how to use it effectively to get my desired look.   I wanted a portable option for making pizza while going car camping.

On a cold day with high winds I made some calzones and I  struggled to keep temperature over 350F in high winds with single degrees C temperature while keeping setting of burner at medium.  I didn’t take any pictures because although the calzones tasted good, I didn’t have the colour on top that I wanted,    Yesterday was also single temp C temperatures but this time no wind, I was able to use same settings and maintain 600F temperature.    The Pizza was hit at the lake with my friends.  

Photos I have attached are from tonight’s run.   Today one of my sons requested pork lovers sourdough pizza.    I used  fried up medium Italian sausage, chopped up Black Forest ham and chopped upApple smoked  Bacon which I had crisped up.   The cheese I used was extra old cheddar cheese with my homemade crushed tomato pizza sauce.    It turned out as good combination.   

I would highly recommend the camp chef oven with the pizza accessory.  It is a nice option if you like pizza.    I still have to try planked fish on it.     

I recommend practicing with it to understand how to get results you desire for pizza before taking it camping.   One of the things I need to do to get cheese browned was after bottom of pie done, that I had to lift pie up close to  dome for a couple of minutes.    I never had to do this in my kamado.      Glad I now have pizza option for car camping and that I practiced using it to understand how to be successful.     Here are some pictures from tonight pizza.    

• By MickeyTheShoe
      Below are the results of my first cook on the DoJoe. Did two pies, the dough was the Ken Forkish 24 hr dough. No real modifications except i combined the initial dough in the food processor. 

The grill toped out at about 575. 8 min cooks. 1 rotation half way. 

Lessons learned: I used some leftover charcoal (maybe 1/4 basket) from a previous cook. Going to try to ramp the heat to 650 by using all new lump. I also lit in a single spot from below like i normally do using a couple of KJ starter cubes.  I think next time im going to try to light in 3 spots up top. 

Also going to back the hydration down to 65% to try and get some more lift in the crust. No undercarriage pics. That’s my bad. If anyone has any suggestions would love to hear them. Happy to answer any questions. Not a bad first cook overall, but more to be desired. 

• By KamadoHop
      I have done NY style crusts successfully recently but really wanted to try my hand at achieving a Neapolitan style pizza. 

I used the recipe found at https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pizza-and-flatbread-recipes/neapolitan-style-pizza-dough-recipe

However, I did deviate a bit as I don’t have a scale and couldn’t measure by weight. I also used White Lily bread flour as I couldn’t track down any “00” here locally. 

10” stone + 1” ceramic spacers (3) atop the KJ deflector. KJ big block and Togo premium as full as I could get it safely. 

The recipe calls all’s for a surface temp of 600° and that’s most likely accurate. My first pie was a bit over cooked but still good at a surface temp of around 650°. After getting the temp down closer to 600°, they did much better. I did a Canadian bacon/shredded Italian cheese mix for my two boys, a traditional mozzarella/basil for me, and a pesto/goat cheese for my wife. Everybody was happy.  Anyway, here they are:

not everything went to plan though...

This one didn’t cooperate coming coming off the peel.. 

so so I got an undercooked loaf of bread. :D

• By Knoxly
      I have a Louisiana grills K24 and I am not sure if I can cook pizza directly on the heat deflector or need a separate pizza stone.  Also interested to know which side of the deflector is up for normal grilling.  Thanks!