Flame Boss 500 vs BBQ Guru CyberQ

Hi All,

I have been using the Big Joe 3 since July and I still struggle a little to maintain a constant temperature in the dome. To that end, I have done a lot of research into temperature controllers and have come up with my two front runners as the title suggests. Does anybody have any experience of either of these controllers or know which would work best with a Big Joe 3?

Thanks in advance,

Huw.

I have the CyberQ and it's been great for me. I have had mine for many years now and it hasn't given me a single problem. I use it mainly for long overnight cooks, it give me great peace of mind and lets me sleep soundly but I will also use it as just a temp readout and not even use the fan, because it's very accurate. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Flameboss 300 Wi-Fi since 2017 and it works brilliantly. Regular firmware updates and there is a Flame Boss app and My Flame Boss web site. Both work very well. The guy who invented and runs Flame Boss is a real enthusiast so support is excellent as witnessed by the software updates. The 500 was not available when I bought. Available here in the UK: https://www.bbqandsmoke.co.uk/collections/flame-boss

I'm all for temp. controllers and I have the Signals with Billows and it works great, that being said your kamado should hold temp pretty easily relative to other cookers once you get the hang of it. I recommend you keep working toward mastering your temp control without the help even after you get the controller so you'll be confident in what to do if the power goes out or the controller goes on the fritz, good luck!!

I have the CyberQ. Works great. I even used it for a simple 400* cook last night. Loaded up my lump. Setup and turned on the CyberQ set to 400*. Lit the lump with a MAPP torch. Once lit installed the deflector and grates, closed the dome with the top vent set appropriately then walked away. Went inside and shot some pool with Mrs skreef. About an hour later it was cruising along at a steady 400*. A little while later it was time so the chicken pot pie went on. 

It was about as easy as it gets and will probably use it more often for those types of cooks. 

I do have a small jump starter battery pack just in case I loose power during the cook. 

I have a FB 200 and a FB 400. Originally, I was very frustrated with the 400 WiFi connectivity until Flame Boss did a software update. No problems after that.  Also, customer support was phenomenally great both times I needed it. The last time I emailed them I received a call within the day and the guy walked me through the problem step by step.  

Alright you controller users... I have one last concern before I pull the trigger.  I am not looking to spend a ton, and the ones that seem reasonable to me are all in one. For example, the iKamand entire unit includes the fan and therm.  Can one of these units be used just as the therm and not a controller?