BRGriller

Just got my Classic 2! Anything beginner tips/must buy additions

I finally went all in a upgraded from my small little weber go anywhere to a kamado. I'm finally able to do way more things with this guy and I'm excited, especially smoking.

I'm fairly new to grilling in general.. only been messing around with steaks and burgers. Did some ribs before but that was a bit tough with the small weber GA.

I also got a joetisserie as a free gift with the purchase.

Will add more pics when I get the chance.

Are there anything I should know for my first time on a kamado or the kamado joe in particular? 

Planning on doing a boston butt or brisket for my first cook

Some questions I do have though 

1. Is the top vent supposed to just sit on top loosely? It doesn't fit snug at all and it's easy to lift it off, but it doesn't fall off when I open the lid. 
  2.  How important is getting a cooler to let meats rest? Could I just wrap it in foil/towels and let it sit on the counter
  3. Any accessories/tools I should get? I have the ravenna cover ordered and a $20 instant temp reader from amazon that I bought a while ago.
  4. I have a chimney that I've been using for the little weber, are chimneys alright for kamados?
  5. I've always wanted to get a grill grate since a lot of people recommends one for steaks, but is there one for the classic 2?

Sorry for all of the questions, trying to get everything down as I start my journey into kamados 

Thanks guys! It's been awhile since I've used a forum and man do I miss it. Seems like a lot of discussions take place on things like reddit nowadays.

classic2.jpg

Welcome. Congrats. 

Please stop by and introduce yourself. 

As for tips. 

1) ask as many questions as you like.  

2) read the manual 

3) watch all of Johns videos

4) learn fire temp management before cooking. Practice, 250, 350, 450 before adding protein. 

If you can’t get to temp, it’s probably a lack of air flow. 

Start there.  

1 hour ago, Ben S said:

Welcome. Congrats. 

Please stop by and introduce yourself. 

As for tips. 

1) ask as many questions as you like.  

2) read the manual 

3) watch all of Johns videos

4) learn fire temp management before cooking. Practice, 250, 350, 450 before adding protein. 

If you can’t get to temp, it’s probably a lack of air flow. 

Start there.  

Thanks! I've been watching some of John's videos for the past couple days and I'm learning a lot. 

I think one of my first purchases that I really want to make is a griddle/grate. 

I'm seeing a lot of different options: reversible cast iron grate, soapstone and the little griddle kettle-q.

I'm wanting to make smashburgers for sure and the kettle-q looks great especially since it has a drip tray. I'm not sure if I need a cast iron grate, is it that much better than the standard grates? Would love to get good searing on my steaks too and I've seen some people just use the standard grates and put it on the lower part closer to the direct heat to get that sear.

What do you guys use?

10 hours ago, BRGriller said:

Thanks! I've been watching some of John's videos for the past couple days and I'm learning a lot. 

I think one of my first purchases that I really want to make is a griddle/grate. 

I'm seeing a lot of different options: reversible cast iron grate, soapstone and the little griddle kettle-q.

I'm wanting to make smashburgers for sure and the kettle-q looks great especially since it has a drip tray. I'm not sure if I need a cast iron grate, is it that much better than the standard grates? Would love to get good searing on my steaks too and I've seen some people just use the standard grates and put it on the lower part closer to the direct heat to get that sear.

What do you guys use?

The cast iron grate is on my wishlist, (right after i get a soapstone and ikamand first) the cast iron grate will help with bold steak house grill marks since the grates are a little wider then the standard grates. You can still get a nice sear on the standard grate so thats why the cast iron is on my list a little farther down.  I also have the dojoe which i absolutely love. 

I would get a cooler, you dont need to get a crazy yeti or k2cooler (unless you really want to go for it) but a cheap coleman would do the trick. Instant read thermometer is a must so its good you have that already. A coal chimney is probly fine. But you’ll find that it works just as easy to put one fire starter in the center if your charcoal in the fire box. 10-15min lid open, then shut, adjust vents for what temp you want and let it preheat. 

Most important, have fun. Might sound like a “duh” kind of thing to say but I really mean it. Not every cook is gonna be perfect. Especially if your trying a new recipe or technique for the first time. Dont let it stress you out. Acknowledge what you may have done wrong and remember for next time. Kamado cooking for me is a de-stressor at the end of the day. It needs to stay fun. When I come home from work, I put a fire starter in the center, light it, get changed and even if its Monday, its officially the weekend to me for atleast a few hours. 

Light it up, slow it down :)

Be patient and don’t put your food on until you have temps settled in and clear to no smoke coming out.  It is very easy to put the food on too early, which can create a bitter flavor.

My favorite product I own for my KJ is my wireless thermometer.  I can easily monitor temps without lifting the lid.  I use a igrill2 and really like it.  I am looking to possibly upgrade that to a WiFi thermometer instead of Bluetooth.

Welcome and congrats. with thee chimney you might be lighting too much charcoal for a low fire , you can use the fire starter thingys or just use a couple of cotton balls soaked in 91% alcohol. The kamado will grill like your weber but the smoking low and slow will take a little learning, on fire management. Keep in mind you have about 1 inch of ceramics to heat up or cool off . The first thing i did with my Joe was fill the fire box use 3 cotton balls vents wide open when  it gets to  175 or so then close vents mine 1/2 inch bottom the top 1/2 way to first line. After smoke clears slap on some ribs and when done keep grill going and try for 350 . Make small changes and WAIT for the change to occur. When done with adjusting close both vent and JOEY goes to sleep till next time. You can reuse the leftover charcoal My top cap was loose from day one but it works fine its loose because it needs some more felt . My only accessory (so far ) is a pizza stone. And one last tip enjoy the grill  

Thanks for the tips y'all, I'll try lighting maybe as few of the charcoals I can with the chimney  first and if it doesn't work out I'll try out the starters. 

Still wondering which griddle/surface I should get and I think I might just get that kettle-q because the whole setup looks real convient but for the price I could pretty much go for th soapstone too.. on the other hand the reversible grate/griddle is a two in one but only half moon. Tough choices! 

I'm planning on getting the inkbird ibt-4xs because thatll be real convient for the low and slow cooks without having to open the lid and letting all the heat out. 

5 hours ago, BRGriller said:

Thanks for the tips y'all, I'll try lighting maybe as few of the charcoals I can with the chimney  first and if it doesn't work out I'll try out the starters. 

Still wondering which griddle/surface I should get and I think I might just get that kettle-q because the whole setup looks real convient but for the price I could pretty much go for th soapstone too.. on the other hand the reversible grate/griddle is a two in one but only half moon. Tough choices! 

I'm planning on getting the inkbird ibt-4xs because thatll be real convient for the low and slow cooks without having to open the lid and letting all the heat out. 

Have a friend who got this guy... I haven’t used it, but he likes it.

http://store.sparqhome.com/products/Details.aspx?p=1366091&c=4761&g=

When you are in the excitement stage after receiving your new Kamado, it is really easy to buy loads of stuff that seem awesome and necessary but once the novelty wears off you realize you do not use or need.

I would highly recommend not to buy anything until you cook for a while and see how it goes.

YMMV

14 hours ago, Bgosnell151 said:

Have a friend who got this guy... I haven’t used it, but he likes it.

http://store.sparqhome.com/products/Details.aspx?p=1366091&c=4761&g=

I highly recommend Soapstone. I have the KJ half-moon Soapstone and love it! I am thinking about getting an Akorn Jr and a Soapstone for it. Sparq could be gravy! 

Of course, Soapstones can do double duty as heat deflectors. 

If I had to recommend one of the first accessories, it would be some remote reading probes.

I have the Inkbird IBT-4XS and it has been GREAT.  Very long range and I tested all four probes in boiling water and every one tested EXACTLY 212°F

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Wireless-Thermometer-Grilling-Rechargeable/dp/B076QDC5VL?ref_=ast_sto_dp

I bought the Inkbird hand held probe too.  It is also dead on.  I like that all you need to do to turn it off is push it closed.

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Instant-Thermometer-Grilling-HET-F001/dp/B078SQD4B3/ref=pd_bxgy_79_img_3/141-1241426-3501107?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B078SQD4B3&pd_rd_r=4093633b-90af-4e6e-98fe-10a9311d1966&pd_rd_w=Rqge1&pd_rd_wg=HhrKA&pf_rd_p=a2006322-0bc0-4db9-a08e-d168c18ce6f0&pf_rd_r=5NXQXCYD6E9AC62Z6P03&psc=1&refRID=5NXQXCYD6E9AC62Z6P03

Tom

On 9/9/2019 at 8:06 AM, Brandon Store said:

Not every cook is gonna be perfect. ...

... but you can expect it to taste good, regardless.  Be brave, there's very little downside. 

And great upside to the remote reading thermometer you've heard mentioned. Get a good one; I'm cheap, so I wasted my money on cheap ones for years... then found not all "premium" brands are equal. Thermoworks has never disappointed for any products. Pops are on sale!

https://www.thermoworks.com/

HAve fun,

Frank

I've had a Thermopen for a number of years and it's one of the most critical pieces in my collection (OK it's probably the most important kitchen/grilling-related item I have).  I've bought one for my father and father-in-law as gifts as it really takes the guess work out of when to take things off.

For smoking or with big cuts of meat, I used to use a Maverick but now have a Thermoworks Smoke which has 2 probes - one for the meat and one for the smoker/grill.  Of course, there are wireless ones out now that look really appealing like the Meater, but I haven't had the Smoke for too long and still like it.

I'm still a newbie and have been just trying to try out different recipes and temps so I can hopefully get to the stage of not thinking and just knowing what settings to have and when.  I still stress about it and check far too often, but I know it'll go away in time.  I KNEW exactly what settings to have with my nat. gas Weber to produce X result, so I'll get there with the Big Joe.  Just practice away!

I'm still experimenting with charcoal as well and will continue to try different types.  I've already learned what not to buy and why :)

i've thought about the cast iron grate AND griddle, as well as the soapstone - oh, and another extender cooking rack, but I've been trying to hold off on these for now until I can really see if I need them vs. want them.    Oh, and I haven't meantioned grillgrates yet - I've used them for years on my gas grills and they have truly changed the way I cook (almost but not quite as much as a Thermapen).  I'm still debating on getting them for my Big Joe...

As many have said, don't be in a rush to start buying accessories yet, just keep playing with it, trying different settings, and getting comfortable with the grill.  Once you have things 'down pat', then maybe it's time.  Experiment with charcoal, smoking wood, low vs. high temps first...

All this being said, is that I went with a Big Joe III, so I have the slo-roller and basket, so take this with a grain of salt!

Oh and before I forget, @Ben S, I would usually say RTFM (read the manual), but for me and my Big Joe III, it was pretty terrible.  The install instructions had the 'old' Joe II cart, nothing about the charcoal basket, or the SloRoller, and was extremely light on the proper way to setup the divide and conquer system.  Thankfully, this forum and John had great instruction.  With well over a $2k bill, I really was disappointed in the manual, and this comes from someone who is extremely forgiving on manuals/instruction.  Hell, I'd even help corporate with updating instructions on people that went with a series III so they wouldn't have to go through what I did!