markoud

Primo round how to get to high temp (600 F)

Hi all,

I know it's been discussed a lot but I simply can't get my primo round (18.5'') to 600 F. I tried lighting the charcoals at 3 different points, letting the lid open for 20-25 minutes but nothing works. The grill stays at 400 F. Is there anything else I could try? Should I leave the lid open for more? Should I light more fires (maybe 4 or 5)?

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you for your replies

Are you using an old bag of Charcoal? Charcoal absorbs moisture out of the air and if left in a really damp environment it wont burn as hot. The other angle is how are you lighting it? How hot do you want it to get?

You could also use a charcoal chimney, light the entire thing and then dump it in.

Thanks for the reply.

I need it around 600 F and I only get to 400 F evem lln after it's  being burning with both vents fully open for hours. My coal is dry, since summers here are hot and dry (and September too). I am at a loss because  I do the same exact  procedure  on my 25" kamado and it has no problem reaching the desired temp.

He way I light it is as follows.

I light three cubes and place them in different parts of the charcoal. I leave it with the bottom vent and the lid open for 10-15 minutes. I close the lid when I see flames forming. After that I fully open the top vent (the bottom is already  open) .

I don't have a chimney so I don't know if it would work or not. Should I light more cubes? Use a fan to help the coal catch fire?

Another case of "one gets hot, the other doesn't." The only thing I can suggest is putting larger, irregular pieces on a very clean fire grate, followed by a large amount of fairly small fuel (no dust) above it. One keeps airflow open as the fire burns, the other burns quick and hot. Flames out the top aren't always a problem. 

Have fun,

Frank

is the firebox aligned with the lower vent opening? Are you using a full load of fresh lump charcoal? are the small round vent holes in the firebox clear of debris? only things I can think to check. If you haven't done so already the only other recommendation would be to go buy a new bag of lump and try again and fill the firebox with only large and medium pieces so you know there's good airflow through the coals. Good luck, report back to us how it goes!