John Setzler

The Kamado Book of Knowledge

You speak in the book about the "Kamado learning curve".  You just reduced this learning curve 75%+.  A newcomer to Kamado can read this book and will make fewer mistakes and quickly be on their way to "The Big Meats".  What a gift to our community.  Thank you.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience, John.  And thanks for investing the time and effort producing this guide must have taken.  There is something in there for everyone-from beginner to long time kamado cook.  :good:

John Just finished reading, it is a very well put together instruction manual. Your book is full of solid ideas and well presented It will save the new kamado owners some of the joy (?) of learning their grill.Do you think it might be a good idea to add an accessory paragraph on CI griddles , soapstone and pizza stone? I know this is a beginners guide, and this might getting past the scope of your book. Anyway thanks for all the time you've put into the manual and this website and keep your videos coming.  

2 hours ago, len440 said:

John Just finished reading, it is a very well put together instruction manual. Your book is full of solid ideas and well presented It will save the new kamado owners some of the joy (?) of learning their grill.Do you think it might be a good idea to add an accessory paragraph on CI griddles , soapstone and pizza stone? I know this is a beginners guide, and this might getting past the scope of your book. Anyway thanks for all the time you've put into the manual and this website and keep your videos coming.  

It might not be a bad idea but I would not approach it in that manner because that is too brand specific.  I would talk about using a cast iron pan as a searing surface possibly or the use of a pizza stone in pizza baking.  The soapstone would never find its way into this.   There will be enhancements to this as I consider what those enhancements need to be.  This is just version 1.0.   

You have some very good points. Forgot it was a generic Kamado book which make me appreciate  the effort in  making the book brand neutral. With the soap stone and cast iron griddle you are somewhat limited as to brands out there, and you have to have a pizza section i really loved your pizza recipes and learned quite a bit from your posts. Perhaps a rube goldberg section on diy accessories my griddle is a round lodge  $3 garage sale item with no handle i use vice grips when hot . Only kidding on the diy section. Looking forward to  version 2.0

9 hours ago, len440 said:

You have some very good points. Forgot it was a generic Kamado book which make me appreciate  the effort in  making the book brand neutral. With the soap stone and cast iron griddle you are somewhat limited as to brands out there, and you have to have a pizza section i really loved your pizza recipes and learned quite a bit from your posts. Perhaps a rube goldberg section on diy accessories my griddle is a round lodge  $3 garage sale item with no handle i use vice grips when hot . Only kidding on the diy section. Looking forward to  version 2.0

I have already started on the pizza section and I'll also add some recipes based on that section....

There is a lot of useful info in there. I have seen some info stating that steaks can be seared over 700, but according to the ebook that causes the stainless to rust. Will that affect the ash basket as well?

7 hours ago, Andino75 said:

There is a lot of useful info in there. I have seen some info stating that steaks can be seared over 700, but according to the ebook that causes the stainless to rust. Will that affect the ash basket as well?

It will but it doesnt really matter with the ash basket.  If you want to sear steaks at extreme temps, buy a cast iron grate.