Brandon Store

Ikamand + dojoe

Not to beat a dead horse and if it cant be or shouldnt be done, i wont. But with the ikamand, do you need the probes inside the kamado for it to work? In this situation could I set it for the fan to always blow and leave the probes out completely and go off dome temp?

6 hours ago, Brandon Store said:

Not to beat a dead horse and if it cant be or shouldnt be done, i wont. But with the ikamand, do you need the probes inside the kamado for it to work? In this situation could I set it for the fan to always blow and leave the probes out completely and go off dome temp?

you can but you will just have no control of it.

A couple of chimneys of lit charcoal and a full fire box would get the kamado up to 600f as fast (if not faster) than the iKamand would, i would assume

As you're not shooting for pin point accurate and stable temps, over long periods, i dont see the iKamand being of much help here outside of (maybe) saving you a few min during intial start up

In regards to "maintaining it longer": even if you could set it up so the controller can monitor the pit temp, the open flow nature of the doejoe would mean your primary issue would be keeping the air flow to a minimum rather than keeping the fire stoked

Ok interesting. I may just try lighting in multiple locations. I was thinkin the ikamand would help by constantly blowing on the fire to keep the heat on the upswing. When ive cooked pizza with just a stone it was easier to get to 600+ cause you could close the lid and keep both vents fully open and just wait. But because the dojoe is partially always open (which i like) to maintain 600 the fire really needs to be ragging. I love the design of the dojoe how the hot air goes over the pizza and out the front, im just trying to think of ways to make it even better. The pizzas that come out at 650 are unbelievably good. I just want more of it. Since when i do get to 650, maybe 2 pies get cooked at it before it starts going down. (I make a lot of pizza on pizza night.)

55 minutes ago, Brandon Store said:

Ok interesting. I may just try lighting in multiple locations. I was thinkin the ikamand would help by constantly blowing on the fire to keep the heat on the upswing. When ive cooked pizza with just a stone it was easier to get to 600+ cause you could close the lid and keep both vents fully open and just wait. But because the dojoe is partially always open (which i like) to maintain 600 the fire really needs to be ragging. I love the design of the dojoe how the hot air goes over the pizza and out the front, im just trying to think of ways to make it even better. The pizzas that come out at 650 are unbelievably good. I just want more of it. Since when i do get to 650, maybe 2 pies get cooked at it before it starts going down. (I make a lot of pizza on pizza night.)

Sounds like more/better charcoal is needed rather than more air

With the doejoe in place you could really fill that baby to the brim

I'll be honest, I havent used the doejoe but i would have thought that due to the fact it allows additional air into the grill when in place, your issue would be too higher a temp rather then too low a temp

With both vents fully open AND the doejoe letting in additional air from the centre of the grill, you should have all the air you need, provided you have ample fuel to burn

7 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Sounds like more/better charcoal is needed rather than more air

Yea what @Polar Bear said. Not all lumps are created equal. Pick a lump made from South American hardwoods. Lumps from South American hardwoods are considerably more dense and will burn longer at high heat compared to lump made from North American hardwoods. The only drawback is they take a little longer to get going but that could be offset by starting with a chimney starter.