Chasdev

Pork prices going up or down?

Now that a certain very large country full of Asians has banned all agricultural products from the USA and happens to be one of the three largest buyers of pork produced here, will my baby backs and pork butts get cheaper due to over supply?

I feel bad for the producers but welcome some cheap pork parts.

Banned them from Canada too....it'll be interesting.  News story I hear is that there's a shortage, especially of pork, in China  yet they choose not to buy from us.  Gotta admire a government that holds to their principles though.

The thing to do is if/when the ribs/butt prices go down, we all need to fill the freezer to help out our producers..

Too bad soy beans don't barbecue all that well,  THOSE guys are screwed.

On 9/11/2019 at 6:15 PM, BURGER MEISTER said:

It's a communist country, I don't think principles have much to do with it.  Controlling their people is utmost in their minds.

Grin, and THAT'S their principle!  Make no mistake, I'm no supporter of those regimes.  

But yes, there may be some hope for the US with the proposed tariffs being delayed but our government is well and truly screwed.

On 9/12/2019 at 4:13 AM, Chasdev said:

The thing to do is if/when the ribs/butt prices go down, we all need to fill the freezer to help out our producers..

:-D yup I like that attitude . Herman 

This is a big problem, must quickly find a way out, this is a market do not forget. If prices are high, there is a great demand, so there will be supplies from somewhere.

Filling the refrigerator for the future is really not a bad idea :)

Looks like piggy is still going to market in Beijing. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-25/china-preparing-to-buy-more-u-s-pork-as-trade-talks-revive

Economics

China Prepares to Buy More U.S. Pork as Trade Talks Revive

Chinese companies are preparing to purchase more U.S. pork, according to people familiar with the situation, as the government battles against domestic shortages and top trade negotiators from both nations plan to meet in Washington next month.

On 9/12/2019 at 6:13 AM, Chasdev said:

Tempeh, a fermented soy bean product grills up nicely.  But I understand your point :)