Kamado Tom

pulled pork rub, no pepper allowed...

My pulled pork is pretty popular with friends and family but one of my good friends is allergic to black pepper so she can't have any without suffering for it. We are having a party for her birthday this Saturday and everyone wants pulled pork but I want to make it without any pepper but all the rubs I use have some in it.

Does anyone have any suggestions or substitutions they can offer? 

I asked about any other pepper and she said "no pepper" so that's the direction I'm taking.

I appreciate any help you guys/gals can offer!

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

Give this a go.....

5 tablespoons sea or kosher salt

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 tablespoon onion powder

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

That should be more than enough for one boston butt.

Thank you, this is what I was hoping for!!

1 hour ago, gotzero said:

I would make a custom blend rub to be sure, since "spices" in an ingredients list can often include black or white pepper. 

agreed, it's a common but important ingredient otherwise we wouldn't use it.  I like John's recipe with the cinnamon, I think that's going to work well.

The only downside to John's mix is that its ~2/3 salt. Oddly enough, my favorite pork rub is more like 1/8 salt... but 1/4 pepper so it's out. (I'm not salt-adverse; but this one is low.)

For low-salt options, look for "red-eye" recipes with coffee and cider-based recipes. Both are marinades/soaks, not rubs, but they also work. Here's a red-eye. I don't like coffee, so I've not tried it. 

2c strong coffee

2c cider vinegar

1c chopped onion

1/2 c dark molasses

Let us know how it goes,

Frank

I don't add salt to my rubs, I prefer to salt the meat separately before applying the rub so I can control how much salt the meat is getting.

Here is my go-to rub.  Leave out the pepper naturally.  The fun thing about making your own rub is you can add or subtract as you please, making some killer unique rubs.

• 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup paprika
  • 1/8 cup garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoon black pepper
  • 2 tablespoon ginger powder
  • 2 tablespoon onion powder
  • 2 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne powder (optional)

Add any other spices you like such as:

• 2 tablespoon italian herbs
  • Roesmary powder
  • Some allspice
  • Etc

This probably won't help you out for the moment but....... 

Black pepper is a pepper corn. 

White pepper is basically bleached black pepper. 

Red pepper corns are actually a pepper Berry. 

Purple crack (Tasmanian Mountain Pepper Berries) are a Berry 

Both red pepper and Purple crack is a good substitute for black pepper and your friend might not be allergic to them since they are a Berry. I don't even have black pepper in the house anymore. I exclusively use Purple crack. The only exception is I have a grinder of white pepper corns for when I have a white sauce and don't want to bleed purple color into it. 

On 9/11/2019 at 8:39 PM, Kamado Tom said:

My pulled pork is pretty popular with friends and family but one of my good friends is allergic to black pepper so she can't have any without suffering for it. We are having a party for her birthday this Saturday and everyone wants pulled pork but I want to make it without any pepper but all the rubs I use have some in it.

Does anyone have any suggestions or substitutions they can offer? 

I asked about any other pepper and she said "no pepper" so that's the direction I'm taking.

I appreciate any help you guys/gals can offer!

On 9/12/2019 at 7:50 AM, ckreef said:

This probably won't help you out for the moment but....... 

Black pepper is a pepper corn. 

White pepper is basically bleached black pepper. 

Red pepper corns are actually a pepper Berry. 

Purple crack (Tasmanian Mountain Pepper Berries) are a Berry 

Both red pepper and Purple crack is a good substitute for black pepper and your friend might not be allergic to them since they are a Berry. I don't even have black pepper in the house anymore. I exclusively use Purple crack. The only exception is I have a grinder of white pepper corns for when I have a white sauce and don't want to bleed purple color into it. 

Tom I was slightly wrong with what I said. 

Black, white, red, and green pepper corns all come from the same plant. They are just harvested and processed differently. 

Pink pepper corns come from a different plant in Brazil. Tasmanian Mountain Pepper Berries is also a different plant from the island of Tasmanian off the coast of Australia. 

If your friend is interested, I would be willing to send you a small stash of Tasmanian Mountain Pepper Berries for her to try. They make a good substitute for black pepper but they are a little zippier. Not sure if she's willing to chance it. 

For me it wouldn't even be a Boston butt question because I could careless about pepper on a butt. Steaks now that's a different story.