Burntweenie

BGE answer to the Kick Ash Basket (Fire Bowl)

Is this really that much of an improvement over the KAB or the Kamado Joe basket? I like the handles but I honestly don't think you will get rid of as many of the smaller junk pieces of lump as you can with the KAB.

18 minutes ago, mtoddsolomon said:

Is this really that much of an improvement over the KAB or the Kamado Joe basket? I like the handles but I honestly don't think you will get rid of as many of the smaller junk pieces of lump as you can with the KAB.

That would depend entirely on how you look at it.

I think they missed the mark by just a wee bit. Yes you get the basket and handles for easy cleaning BUT.......... 

You still have a bottom with holes in it instead of a bottom grate configuration. Takes away the airflow advantage you would get from a KAB. 

Personally I think they need to go back to the drawing board and try again. 

I have not had the time to test, but I am convinced the restriction of the holes is a design feature and contributes to efficiency.  There is a reason they designed it that way vs the basket style.  I have a basket and my bottom plate stays in with it.

Better late than never I suppose.  I bought a KAB for my Large and MiniMax Eggs and got a factory basket on my new KJ 3.

I've lost track, but I'd love to how the pricing compares when you add all these things.

- Eggspander to compete with divide and conquer 

- Firebowl to compete with included basket (although I don't see a divider on anything smaller than the XL.?) 

- Reggulator extra piece to add some rain protection vs. KontrolTop tower vent 

- Ash pan & tool 

- Nest / cart 

- Grill gripper 

Feels like the Egg would add up to be a fair bit more expensive and you'd still not have things like the hinge, gasket, firebox, ash removal, SloRoller etc. 

The first 4 Kamado's I've bought were all green (two larges, a minimax and a mini* gift).  I've just ordered a my second KJ Classic 3, there will be some changes coming to my backyard setup soon lol 

On 9/12/2019 at 5:15 PM, ckreef said:

I think they missed the mark by just a wee bit. Yes you get the basket and handles for easy cleaning BUT.......... 

You still have a bottom with holes in it instead of a bottom grate configuration. Takes away the airflow advantage you would get from a KAB. 

Personally I think they need to go back to the drawing board and try again. 

I think you nailed it. 

On 9/22/2019 at 3:43 PM, keeperovdeflame said:

Yes, Ron, I have a problem:) I am thinking the new fire basket is at least $100 and change. Unfortunately, that's the way BGE rolls.I haven't seen a price yet.   

I bet $100.00 would be a bargain price.