New guy with first kamado

Hello from a new kamado owner from Saskatchewan. Just recently purchased a rebranded Akorn (Master Chef) from my local Canadian Tire. It was on sale for $249.93 Cad. I also had a coupon for 50x CT rewards so I got $25.99 back in credit.  Pretty good deal for us up here in Canada.

48722615981_d8d195de8a_b.jpg

Since it didn’t come with a heat deflector of any sort, and a smokin’ stone is $100 up here off amazon.ca, I decided to make my own out of 1/8” steel. I figured while I’m at it, I may as well make it a drip pan too. 

48722794022_9985229d1d_b.jpg

Works great!  First cook was a couple racks of beef short ribs but I forgot to get a picture. Had a bit of an issue getting the temperature below 300F. Lower cent completely closed, upper just cracked. It actually ran at around 300F with both closed. So I took the lower vent off, siliconed around it and put it back on. Then tightened up the slider with some foil tape. Still needs some more sealing as it won’t quite snuff the fire out. Anyway then I did some turkey drumsticks for my wife and they turned out great. 

48722284223_c4caf0f272_z.jpg

Third cook was a brisket point I turned into burnt ends and it was amazing! I have pictures but they aerial uploaded yet. 

I put a second gasket on the ash pan but have yet to use it to see if the fire can be put out now. I gotta say, I really like it so far. So much that I bought an Akorn JR from Walmart yesterday on clearance for $129. I think I’m going to use the canning rack setup on this one. 

You're off and running! 

Interesting "Akorn"! I don't see the holes in the grill for the "warming" rack. Did it come with one? 

If it run with the vents closed you do have work to do. Working on the clasps for the lid and ash basket at the bottom to hold tighter might help. 

I want a Jr also! 

Great looking cooks and Welcome! 

3 hours ago, lnarngr said:

You're off and running! 

Interesting "Akorn"! I don't see the holes in the grill for the "warming" rack. Did it come with one? 

If it run with the vents closed you do have work to do. Working on the clasps for the lid and ash basket at the bottom to hold tighter might help. 

I want a Jr also! 

It’s got a half moon “warming rack” that sits on top of the grate. It’s definitely a bit different than a Char-Griller branded one for sure, but I like the table it’s in better. I do wish the side shelves folded down though. 

3 hours ago, lnarngr said:

You're off and running! 

I want a Jr also! 

I put a gasket on the ash pan and siliconed the vent frame to the ash pan. Have not had a chance to test it out yet since the mods.