kevinpak79

Joetisserie Chicken with lid open or close?

So there is no point in trying to get the temp correct?  Also will the handle of the grill get really hot if i leave it open from the heat?  Thanks again for the quick response.  Getting ready to put it on soon!

Never cook on a kamado with the lid open!  (DoJoe an exception) Lid closed, coals banked however you feel necessary, vents set for 400*-450*. 

Cooking with a kamado lid open basically defeats the whole purpose of a kamado.

Lid closed, heat deflectors in place. I have never understood why cook direct and have to push the coals to one side! Better results with the deflectors and I have tried all methods over the last three years. More control and (with chicken) you don't get the taste of fat smoke. 

20190811_195609.thumb.jpg.c29f73b932f72c4eab293868eb80ab97.jpg.11fabca3104547e1f1ea2feff10f527e.jpg.0fba2af9344e5bf131c3e49da5c5029f.jpg

I think it depends on ambient temperature John. In the UK we may get up to 22C during the day but most nights are 10C cooler than the day. Trying to get the meat done in a timely manner becomes problematic, more so if it is raining! I agree the spectacle is fun to watch and it seems Heston Blumenthal suggests doing the same as you with his new range of designer charcoal BBQ's

00515913.jpg.8f334c51d15abeae2059ed9a209a975c.jpg

Give the Joetisserie a spin with the deflectors and see/taste for yourself. I went a stage further with that chicken as I also spatchcocked it and the results were as good as it gets. On Sunday I am going to try the 48 hour buttermilk chicken, spatchcocked and rotisseried with the deflectors. Got to push the envelope.

All it depends on is that you can let go of your ideas about how food must be cooked :)  If you are in a hurry don't bother with the Joetisserie.  Just cook it on the grill.  I am just saying that I prefer cooking with the lid open.  If you are constrained by life, time, and other factors, just do what you gotta do.  The question here wasn't in regards to how to do it when you are under the gun for time.  

Be the master of your grill.  Not the slave to it.

On 9/13/2019 at 6:15 AM, Heuer said:

. I have never understood why cook direct and have to push the coals to one side! 

What’s to understand other than people like to do it that way? 

Lid open, lid closed, direct, indirect, coals banked, coals not banked wearing a tuxedo or completely buck naked, the heat & the chicken don’t care, any of these methods will work.

jprobably why the joe tisserie doesn’t include these instructions.

your chicken looks amazing btw

2 hours ago, freddyjbbq said:

. any of these methods will work.

Yes but will any of these methods work better than others? In three years of using the Joetisserie I have not found a single reference to using it with deflectors or indeed anyone who has tried it. In the interests of furthering my knowledge I gave it a go and, IMHO, it works very well indeed. The prescribed method (see John's video's) is to bank the coals and it appears to be Kamado heresy to go off that well trodden path. All very well to say "do whatever you want" but people new to this style of cooking seek guidance. All the methods result in different flavour's and finish to the cook but if you don't care about these subtleties then butt naked is the way to go.:)

1 hour ago, Heuer said:

...Yes but will any of these methods work better than others? 

Only in the eyes of cook who prefers one method to next.

Andy Scalzo (who brought Kamado rotisserie to Kamado Joe) would argue from the point of benefits of direct flame adding flavor to the food. 

It would be an interesting debate because you’d both be right