MarkQC

How many full racks of baby back ribs could you fit in a Big Joe without a rib rack? And recipe

Maybe it’s not realistic but I have 10 full racks of baby back ribs and I don’t have a grate extender or a rib rack yet.

What method would you use to cook 10 full racks of baby back ribs in a way in which you can serve everything at the same time and it still be good?

Second, is there a great straight forward recipe to get restaurant style fall off the bone ribs with a sweet dark sauce, much like our local restaurants serve.

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

Just pile them on there.... they will all fit.  Arrange them so the most surface area is showing but stack them as necessary.   Move them around every hour or so to give them a rotation.  

Awesome John, thanks.

Pretty much very recipe I do on my Big Joe is from your videos, do you have any recommendations for a recipe in which I can produce something that falls off the bone and the sauce is smokey and sweet?

1 hour ago, MarkQC said:

Awesome John, thanks.

Pretty much very recipe I do on my Big Joe is from your videos, do you have any recommendations for a recipe in which I can produce something that falls off the bone and the sauce is smokey and sweet?

For baby backs I would give them about 2.5 hours unwrapped (rotating frequently in your case.)  Slather them in the sauce of your choice and then wrap them up.  Let them finish wrapped for another 1.5 hours or so.  They will be falling off the bone.

41 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

For baby backs I would give them about 2.5 hours unwrapped (rotating frequently in your case.)  Slather them in the sauce of your choice and then wrap them up.  Let them finish wrapped for another 1.5 hours or so.  They will be falling off the bone.

Just curious, what temp for the grill?

Thanks

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

John, any specific video / recipe I can follow?

11 minutes ago, LargeRedJoe said:

If you search YouTube for “Kamado joe baby back ribs” you’ll find a lot of recipes, both by John and other folks. 

Ok thanks, I had found some of John’s on YouTube and they looked great but none of them appeared to be the fall off the bone type cook.

typically it’s served that way at my local rib restaurants, any reason why someone wouldn’t cook them to the point where they fall off the bone? I was surprised to see the videos where they were not like that.

I have not made fall off the bone ribs for a video.  The bbq and grilling community looks down upon that because it ain't how they do it in bbq competitions or on bbq tv shows :)  I get sick of hearing about how wrong things are by people who aren't open minded enough to realize that fall off the bone ribs are the best way to serve them.  :)

On 9/13/2019 at 8:33 AM, John Setzler said:

Just pile them on there.... they will all fit.  Arrange them so the most surface area is showing but stack them as necessary.   Move them around every hour or so to give them a rotation.  

10 actually just fits, no stacking! (Pic below)

Just got them on, has your pork dry rub on.

for sauce, I’m considering this which is supposed to be a close copy of our local rib chain called Baton Rouge.

1 cup of ketchup

1/4 cup of molasses

1/4 cup of white vinegar

1/2 tsp of salt

1/8 tsp of pepper

1/8 tsp of garlic powder

1/8 tsp of onion salt

2 tbsp of brown sugar

2 tbsp of dark corn syrup

2 tbsp of onion flakes

2 tsp of smoke flavour liquid

But this google search shows this molasses based rub has over 3000k positive reviews, so not sure which one to do.

• 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup unsulfured blackstrap molasses
  • 1/4 cup apricot preserves
  • 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons chile powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
  • Pinch of ground cloves
  • Pinch of ground allspice
  • Salt

E64888B5-81A5-43AC-ADE9-3CCDEDDE93F2.jpeg

1 hour ago, Herman Munster said:

Pretty big kamado pretty small racks of ribs  LOL  Herman 

20180617_200450.jpg

Lol, it’s all perspective. Your picture can be a Joe jr.

are baby back ribs normally bigger? They are the same size sold at any restaurant when ordering a full rack, they are called “baby” after all.

6 hours ago, MarkQC said:

10 actually just fits, no stacking! (Pic below)

Just got them on, has your pork dry rub on.

for sauce, I’m considering this which is supposed to be a close copy of our local rib chain called Baton Rouge.

1 cup of ketchup

1/4 cup of molasses

1/4 cup of white vinegar

1/2 tsp of salt

1/8 tsp of pepper

1/8 tsp of garlic powder

1/8 tsp of onion salt

2 tbsp of brown sugar

2 tbsp of dark corn syrup

2 tbsp of onion flakes

2 tsp of smoke flavour liquid

But this google search shows this molasses based rub has over 3000k positive reviews, so not sure which one to do.

• 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup unsulfured blackstrap molasses
  • 1/4 cup apricot preserves
  • 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons chile powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
  • Pinch of ground cloves
  • Pinch of ground allspice
  • Salt

E64888B5-81A5-43AC-ADE9-3CCDEDDE93F2.jpeg

That is awesome! I love the creativity of this forum. As far as the BBQ sauce choices, make them both and run your own poll on which is better. :)

12 minutes ago, buckleybj said:

That is awesome! I love the creativity of this forum. As far as the BBQ sauce choices, make them both and run your own poll on which is better. :)

Problem solved, made the second sauce for today’s meal and will make the first sauce for the leftovers tomorrow!