MarkQC

How many full racks of baby back ribs could you fit in a Big Joe without a rib rack? And recipe

They came out great, everyone loved them but they did dry out a little, so I guess they were overdone and everyone enjoyed them more when I re-applied sauce to them after the cook, I guess I’ll do that from now on regardless of the recipe.

they were not fall off the bone but very easy to eat.

I used John’s pork rub, I cooked them at 250 for 2.5 hours unwrapped with deflector plate at lowest position but it pan of liquid in between, not sure if that would have added more moisture?

i sprayed them with apple juice for the last hour of the unwrapped cook at an interval of 20 minutes to give them a nice bark.

i sauced then and wrapped with a few tablespoons of apple juice and cooked that at 250 for 1.5 hours and then re-applied sauce when I served.

not sure where I should reduce cooking next time, the unwrapped (2.5 hours) or wrapped (1.5 hours) portion?

FB3B9D3A-C418-4ED3-8E39-64BB93E9224B.jpeg

DF314C9E-326E-4FAD-BFA0-E9A4D591F7BA.jpeg

B0849035-4099-462F-87C7-CCDE71BE29B8.jpeg

A2F5B321-AAB8-486A-BE44-9E68E1BBCA0E.jpeg

On 9/13/2019 at 12:12 PM, John Setzler said:

I have not made fall off the bone ribs for a video.  The bbq and grilling community looks down upon that because it ain't how they do it in bbq competitions or on bbq tv shows :)  I get sick of hearing about how wrong things are by people who aren't open minded enough to realize that fall off the bone ribs are the best way to serve them.  :)

People who eat food know you are correct and snobs are blowing smoke uo folks backsides.  There is little in this world better than fall off the bone ribs. Nuff said. 

Amen Brotha!

On 9/14/2019 at 10:56 AM, MarkQC said:

Lol, it’s all perspective. Your picture can be a Joe jr.

are baby back ribs normally bigger? They are the same size sold at any restaurant when ordering a full rack, they are called “baby” after all.

No it's a full size kamado  23 or 24" but these are Side ribs (I like more meat than bones LOL) I like beef ribs too. Herman 

20180728_165327.jpg

Kamado Peeps,

Mid-week rib smoke. Now I have done ribs before but the reason behind the mid-week smoke, is in preparation for my daughter’s birthday. I have too much to bbq/smoke and not enough time. So the plan is to smoke the ribs a day or two before using the 3 2 1 method, but only get the say the 4 hour, so one hour in foil and then leave them in the fridge. And on the birthday day slow heat in foil and then on grill for a little while with extra basting bbq sauce.

Any advise would be appreciated that will help me reheat and maintain juicy ribs, cannot serve dry ribs.

Thanks bucklybj for pic of 10 racks, I might be using just your method and not use a rack, not sure racks get the meat to absorb full smoking flavor.

Keep smoking

rib.jpg

rib 2.jpg

19 hours ago, LJS said:

Kamado Peeps,

Mid-week rib smoke. Now I have done ribs before but the reason behind the mid-week smoke, is in preparation for my daughter’s birthday. I have too much to bbq/smoke and not enough time. So the plan is to smoke the ribs a day or two before using the 3 2 1 method, but only get the say the 4 hour, so one hour in foil and then leave them in the fridge. And on the birthday day slow heat in foil and then on grill for a little while with extra basting bbq sauce.

Any advise would be appreciated that will help me reheat and maintain juicy ribs, cannot serve dry ribs.

Thanks bucklybj for pic of 10 racks, I might be using just your method and not use a rack, not sure racks get the meat to absorb full smoking flavor.

Keep smoking

25th September  - So last night I took out the wrapped ribs and reheated slowly on the grill and they are still perfect and moist.

So you can stopped mid way smoking ribs when in foil and reheat a day or two after with out the loss of flavor and taste. 

19 hours ago, LJS said:

rib.jpg

rib 2.jpg

still perfect.jpg

32 minutes ago, LJS said:

25th September  - So last night I took out the wrapped ribs and reheated slowly on the grill and they are still perfect and moist.

So you can stopped mid way smoking ribs when in foil and reheat a day or two after with out the loss of flavor and taste. 

Good info, Good job!