rrgone

Thoughts on cooking pork tenderloin medallions

I am thinking a quick sear on my gas grill with grill grates very hot, then onto the Joe at about 180-200 degrees until internal temp is about 140. These medallions are about 1-1/2" thick and are already heavily pre-seasoned. I got them at Costco a few days ago in a package weighing 3-3/4 lbs. Lots of medallions! I am also considering doing the same except reverse searing them after they get to about 115-120 on the Joe. Appreciate any comments on what might be best to keep these medallions from drying out.

I buy them, freeze them and cook them every couple of months.  I just grill them on my gasser cause they're so spiced that smoke or charcoal doesn't add enough flavor to warrant the extra work.

BTW, Costco sells the rub if you want to make your own.  I can't recall the name.

Well I did up about 10 of these medallions last night. I had another couple over and wanted to demo my Joe. I put them on the Joe at about 200 until the meat was at about 120 then onto the hot grill grates until the meat was at about 140. They were beautiful to look at but I didn't care for the taste. The Costco seasoning is way too strong for my liking and competes with the cherry wood smoke. Nonetheless everyone ate 2 medallions so I'll call it a success.

I think the rest of the medallions are going into a chili.

I just buy a 2 pack of pork tenderloins, cut my own medallions, and marinate them for a few hours before cooking. Sometimes I use two or three different marinades, something for everyone. 

30 minutes ago, rrgone said:

The Costco seasoning is way too strong for my liking and competes with the cherry wood smoke. 

I agree. I have tried pre seasoned  pork, chicken, and occasionally  beef (santa maria). Different brands, different stores. They all have this icky after taste, and sometimes texture. I'd rather season/marinate myself. 

I have bought small brisket seasoned with salt and pepper when it is the sale item Aldi. They actually are pretty good. I usually have to hit a couple spots with some extra S&P. They also have one with a Texas Rub, but I have not tried it. I stick with the S&P.