freddyjbbq

DIY- Concrete Countertop In 1 hour

Posting this info because I’m blown away with results and someone else might find it useful.

i have zero masonry experience but wanted a 3’x6’ countertop for my pizza oven and natural stone was cost prohibitive.

total cost so far is about $110 and I plan to finish wet sanding today, seal tomorrow then just have to build my base.

01D7233A-D937-40B3-B147-03A86E324206.jpeg

2CE37F4F-D0F8-4AE0-935F-7F16ED637836.jpeg

02010842-33ED-4D46-8C16-AE41343415EA.jpeg

F1BD88F2-BE17-4E23-A7BF-8C5C9AADBA5E.jpeg

2 hours ago, Chris Topher said:

I didn't watch the video; just scrubbed through it. It doesn't look like any rebar or wire mesh was used. Did you use any? Seems like a setup for failure...

Looks great, though!

Something this large needs rebar.

11 hours ago, Chris Topher said:

I didn't watch the video; just scrubbed through it. It doesn't look like any rebar or wire mesh was used. Did you use any? Seems like a setup for failure...

Looks great, though!

Thank you! Came out awesome. I thought same but watch the video & you’re question will be answered 

3 hours ago, T_om said:

No re-bar needed with that technique.

Tom

I weigh 185# & my son 155# and we both stood on the middle of the piece with sawhorses positioned as they were in the photos above. Crazy strong! In the process of sealing it now. 

On 9/15/2019 at 7:04 PM, Ben S said:

Great find!  I may try this sometime.  

Think I’m up around $110 in cost for 3’x6’ including the mound. You can easily add a “routed” edge and other features shown in other videos on his channel.  Very impressive 

That was a pretty cool video to watch. The breakdown makes the process appear to be simple enough that folks with even the simplest of handyman skills could make something customized for themselves. Gets me really thinking... and so the slippery slope gets even steeper.

On 9/19/2019 at 10:00 AM, Golf Griller said:

I would think that with this method, you could make the mold so that a kamado grill would fit in the top.

You can. There are other videos using a round cut out of foam board to create a hole for a sink, kamado, etc