Kamado Smoke

How did you get into Kamado, Joe Cooking?

For me..  1 year ago while down in Texas... A good friend had one... As the "Joe" was rolled out and the fire box prepared...my eyes  widened and my questions started.    And as my friend put on the ribs ...that he had prepared the evening before. for a 5 hr smoke and cook,,and the smoke ensued ..they evolved.   Ae I learned more about low and slow from his demonstration.. I felt more and more convinced  that this was what I had been looking for as a multi /functioning/ and reliable  item to consider for purchase,   It's my fist year.. I live in an area  of extreme temperature variations.. But I can only say ... Push our limits..

I got into a bbq with a WSM and loved it.   After getting pretty good with ribs & other bbq,

I started looking at BGE’s to consolade grillls & add pizza, etc & a friend in BBQ Brethren suggested I check out Kamado Guru.

It was around the time that John got the Big Joe and began making videos.  Started off with the Big Joe in Black, won a Classic & later added the Junior at a demo while on vacation.  Great grills, fun to cook on. 

Very cool both Scott Roberts and freddyjbbq. ... I have bbq up this way for many..many years. .. but the extreme temperatures was always a problem for yearly maintenance on my previous grills.. from having to replace burners due to  less than ideal natural gas/propane     sulfur content and  impurities issues, and just general  maintenance of looks of the grills when attempting higher heat cooks or even lower heat cooks  .And yes I always covered my grills..   Metal condition was always a constant issue resulting in more sales I'm sure not just for myself..but others up here..on these types of grills..  I'm looking forward to doing as I can when I can  cooks on a ceramic Kamado

Use charcoal grills for about 50 years ,stick smoker for about 15 gas smoker for 10 , planned to buy acorn to try  ( a friend of mine has one)  then wife went to Hawaii with her son and his family(i don,t fly) she felt guilty and suggested i get a ceramic one after i saw one at costco. She's 5"1" and couldn't lift the lid on the vision i saw at costco. So when KJ came out with there airlift hinge i was sold on them. Should of bought a kamado 15 years ago. 

Two friends of mine had BGE's. I bought an Acorn to see if I liked the concept three years ago.  Got hooked immediately.  Picked up a Joe Classic and every accessory at the time.  Added a Joe Jr. about a year ago.  Not really interested in a DoJoe since I love the pie's my local pie place makes, plus enjoy the ambiance of the place.

When i am home and we eat at home, we cook out about 90% of the time.

My buddies father in law got a BGE, and passed his Weber Performer to my buddy. We were all crazy about it and within a few weeks a big group of us had performers. About 2 years later I got an Akorn to try out kamado cooking and I was hooked. 2 years later I saw the Kamado Joe at Costco and went home with a Classic 2. I love the thing, and I'd honestly only cook on it if I had the space.