Hello Kamado Peeps

So, I tried yet another brisket, this time I selected a good quality meat (Angus) and I only took the flat part.

Overall, I was very happy, a little heavy handed with the pepper in my rub, that’s whats happens when you measure by eye, although the next day eaten with other treats it is pretty darn good. Pleased with the smoke ring and the bark, I used pecan and cherry wood.  Also I think I need more work on my trimming the fat. 

I think I should have left her on for longer because the edges, being the thinner parts were more tender than the thicker parts. But again the next day the tenderness was well within an acceptable range, this may also be due to me only leaving her to rest for about 40min. I get so hungry during these cooks and cant wait to taste.

·         Cook time 6.5 hours 40min in foil with beef broth.

·         Dry rub 40/40 salt and pepper and 20 celery seed.

·         I did use mustard as a based coat.

I inserted my thermometer after about 3 hours and at first the reading was too high and then this got me thinking that the probe was pushed threw hot external and that’s why the misleading reading. And took ages to drop.

What is suggested in terms of inserting the thermometer, from start and / or through foil? Comments suggestions appreciated.

Keep smoking…

20190914_182406.jpg

Capture1.JPG

done.JPG

Smoke ring bark.JPG

smoking.JPG

Yum.JPG

cleaned.JPG

the meat.JPG

Thanks for tips Johnny I will do on my next go. Will the fat help the cook be more juicer and tender? I have only done 3 briskets so fairly new to smoking.

Cheers 

10 hours ago, LJS said:

. Will the fat help the cook be more juicer and tender?

Cheers 

I think most people would say yes. Kind of self basting. People also wrap with foil or butchers paper around the stall, juicier meat and less bark. Some don't. YMMV with almost every cook and technique. Gradual tweaking will lead to a consistent product, one that you like.

14 hours ago, JohnnyAppetizer said:

looks good

re: the fat, I  make sure that I leave more. Most pit masters recommend at least a quarter inch. I take some of what I cut off and put back on anywhere there is some necked spots from the original store trim. I score the fat with a crisscross.

Dude! 

Interesting idea! 

I did two butts yesterday and aggressively trimmed the flap off one and left the other. I think leaving is better unless you can take only half the thickness and flop it over the other side! 

(it's nekkid if you are up to something by the way) 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By KissMyKamado
      Hi, I have been researched over months. First I was looking for a gas grill then weber kettle. Now finally I am seattled down to Kamado style grill.

Akron or Kamander are my first choice now. How is the long term user's review on them, will they fall apart after 2-3 years or just some minor issues that doesn't effect the cooking ability.

I have never bbq before. I hope I can sear some serious steak on these kamado grill.

They are both on sale on my local walmart for 340 Canadian dollar(250 usd).

Thanks!
    • By Smoke and Awe
      Those of us who cook for few in number may not want to pay for a huge brisket, let alone cook one, so that means we need to know how to cook a brisket flat when they can be found.  I did just that when I found a 2+ pounder this week.  Of course it has to be brined or marinated, and I did the Montreal Steak marinade packet for 24 hours in the fridge.  Used pecan smoke, cooked at 300 degrees to 205 degrees temp, and then rested.  As usual, I cooked in a vessel to catch the juices and fat.  It is very tender, pulls beautifully, and just the right size for dinner tonight!  Pretty yummy.

• By BoilerMaker Special
      I had a great cook over the weekend.  The preparation was a 10lb. Pork Butt with a mustard and dry rub.

This was my first low and slow cook on the Char Griller Akorn.  I started with a box full of lump charcoal and 6 nice chunks of pre soaked Hickory.

I coated the butt with yellow mustard and a store bought rub the night before the cook and wrapped it in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge. The rub was a local BBQ restaurants, Sugarfire.  Pretty standard rub.

I got the Akorn up to 260F and then added the meat to the grill.  This was also my first use of a BBQ Guru Party Q Thermostat.  This device was great for the long cook time as it kept the temp within 10 degrees of the set point for the entire cook. 

Overall the cook went great, I added some more Hickory and charcoal at the 6 hour mark which was when the meat was at around 160F. I removed the meat after 10 hours or when the internal temp was just below 200F.  From there I wrapped it in foil and a towel to rest for 2 hours.  The meat was very juicy and tender.

I recommend the PartyQ if you struggle with holding temp on your smoker for the low and slow cooks.  

• By mstewart39
      I've had my Akorn for almost a year now.  I've done a full brisket twice, but it's so expensive I rarely cook it.  (It's been really good both times, but the second time wasn't quite as moist as my first one.)  

This weekend (not sure which day) I'm going to do my first Brisket Flat.  It's about 8 1/2 pounds.  I'm thinking about waking up early one morning and trying John's "Kamado Joe Beef Brisket (2015)" method.  My hope is it will be done by dinner time.  

But I will probably do some other stuff instead of a BBQ sauce.  Maybe Apple Cider Vinegar & Bourbon, which has become my go-to rib spray.  Maybe I'll throw in a little Worcestershire sauce for some darkness.  

I'm just a little nervous.  Will this dry it out because I only have the flat?  Is 275 where most people usually do brisket?  I've been trying to stay below 250.  Is there a magic temperature I should take it off?  My plan is to start checking for probe-tenderness at around 195 and let it go as high as 203-205 if it takes that long to get probe-tender.  

Am I on the right track?  Or is there something I'm not thinking about?  I was actually planning a Saturday night into Sunday cook, but with John's method of putting it in a pan after 6 hours, I was afraid it would really screw up my sleep schedule!  

Thoughts?  Input?  Advice?  

Thanks!
    • By RBC3
      It seems like my Akorn smokes very badly whenever I grill with it.  It has been known to fill my patio up with smoke, and sometimes the food tastes like smoke so bad it is almost inedible.  Other times it might smoke, but the food doesn't taste bad.  Am I doing something wrong?  Any feedback is appreciated.