len440

ASH BASKETS

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:27 AM, len440 said:

Thinking about getting a ash basket for my classic II  Any brand recommendations and will there be a problem with them during a high temp pizza cook and a high temp cleaning, i saw one brand that says not to use during high temp cleaning.

This has been a hard decision for me. New to KJ Classic II, but the out of box grate set-up with the ash pan has me rethinking a basket. I have a KAB for the BGE Mini-Max and would not trade it for the world. I think it should be standard out of box.  But so far, I have zero airflow issues with the KJ Classic II and have yet to clean the old lump out.  I just stir it up and dump new lump over the old then light. Of course empty the nifty slide out ash pan.  My Large BGE(no longer have) did not draft as well as the KJ. I don't know if it's the new AMP fire box, the top vent instead of the daisy or design difference, but it responds to vent changes very quickly. I don't like to cook more than 600 degrees and I can keep it clean with a 600 degree burn. Anyway, for what it's worth, that's my two cents. I'm sure I wouldn't have buyers remorse, just rethinking the actual need.

35 minutes ago, Drusen said:

This has been a hard decision for me. New to KJ Classic II, but the out of box grate set-up with the ash pan has me rethinking a basket. I have a KAB for the BGE Mini-Max and would not trade it for the world. I think it should be standard out of box.  But so far, I have zero airflow issues with the KJ Classic II and have yet to clean the old lump out.  I just stir it up and dump new lump over the old then light. Of course empty the nifty slide out ash pan.  My Large BGE(no longer have) did not draft as well as the KJ. I don't know if it's the new AMP fire box, the top vent instead of the daisy or design difference, but it responds to vent changes very quickly. I don't like to cook more than 600 degrees and I can keep it clean with a 600 degree burn. Anyway, for what it's worth, that's my two cents. I'm sure I wouldn't have buyers remorse, just rethinking the actual need.

The main purpose of the charcoal baskets isn't' to have any impact on the airflow.  They are designed to make ash clean out easier.  Any airflow benefits are secondary to that actually.  I cooked for a long time with he stock grates and never had any issues with airflow there.  In fact, I believe my airflow is much more EVEN through out the firebox with that grate in place.  I think it creates a much more even burn of the charcoal.  Wtih just a basket, I will find sections of unburned charcoal after the fire has gone out.  With the stock grate in place, I can almost be guaranteed that all the charcoal will burn up if I don't stop down the airflow... just an observation.....

23 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

The main purpose of the charcoal baskets isn't' to have any impact on the airflow.  They are designed to make ash clean out easier.  Any airflow benefits are secondary to that actually.  I cooked for a long time with he stock grates and never had any issues with airflow there.  In fact, I believe my airflow is much more EVEN through out the firebox with that grate in place.  I think it creates a much more even burn of the charcoal.  Wtih just a basket, I will find sections of unburned charcoal after the fire has gone out.  With the stock grate in place, I can almost be guaranteed that all the charcoal will burn up if I don't stop down the airflow... just an observation.....

That's a good point . When I switched to the KAB on the Mini-Max I was so happy the clean-out process was made easier and the faster response time to vent settings, that I didn't think about the evenness of the heat throughout the Kamado. Also, emptying the MM is important when travelling with it. Won't need that with the classic. lol.  Just really liking the Classic II now  and really satisfied with the ash pan and how well it vents. Guess it's like a car, an aftermarket airflow system beats the stock system. I'm sure I'll get one at some point, but just question the need more now than I did when I bought the KJ.

Don't remember who turned me on to this faux ash basket, but it works great for me.

Mr. Bar-B-Q 06814X Stainless Steel Mesh Grilling Skillet on Amazon

image.png.8ba42b8590e3867d771d6ada030c3e86.png

I have a regular size Akorn and the basket is an easy fit. Ash shakes out very nicely. No problems so far. Was only about $20.

On 9/19/2019 at 6:44 PM, Andino75 said:

When you fill the basket for a long cook do you all fill to the top of the basket?

Actually I fill it over the top of the rim and up sides of my fire ring. The top pieces shirk into smaller pieces  and turn to ash which simply falls into the basket. 

IMG_0162.thumb.jpeg.cf8e615637413303394c80b4bfc3fa99.jpeg

IMG_0704.thumb.jpeg.10aea3b07724ea7c2482851fd7b9bac5.jpeg

7 hours ago, NVRider said:

Don't remember who turned me on to this faux ash basket, but it works great for me.

Mr. Bar-B-Q 06814X Stainless Steel Mesh Grilling Skillet on Amazon

image.png.8ba42b8590e3867d771d6ada030c3e86.png

I have a regular size Akorn and the basket is an easy fit. Ash shakes out very nicely. No problems so far. Was only about $20.

Maybe get one for the fire grate of the 'Korn and one to cook with!? 

Thanks!