Sign in to follow this  
philpom

wood finish products - help -

I know that the topic is touched on in several of the table build threads but I thought it would be nice to get all of the info together in a single location for all to read now and down the road (I need advice).

For you wood experts... What is a good finish for outdoor furniture? I thought about Cabot? It seems to really be for fences and decks - I'm guessing it would work well for hardwood?

Can I use a regular stain and then seal with something like Thompson's? What about wax? Should I use varnish, apply multiple products, is there a good all in one?

I feel like this is an important question, I don't want to apply something that fails quickly and be left with a horrible mess to clean up in order to do over.

Right now I an leaning towards Cabot and no varnish.... I did delay my purchase so I could consult the Gurus!

I'd love to offer you some answers here but I don't feel qualified :(

I'm quite happy with the finish I put on mine with the Australian Timber Oil. I think you should spend some time thinking about what type of finish YOU want to have and go from there. If you want a simple natural wood stained finish, pick your stain and go. If you want that PLUS a glossy exterior on it, go to Lowes and ask someone in the paint department what it would take to add that on top of an oil-based stain. With the Australian Timber Oil, you don't need a sealer in addition to that. This stuff is made for outdoor weather resistance...

For the treated wood parts the Cabot or any good deck type stain is what I would use. On the oak parts sheen level will determine what you should use. Make sure you use an exterior or marine grade varnish and keep it covered as much as possible when not in use, water and UV's are tough on finishes. I would suggest you go to a real paint store not Lowes or HD for the best advice. Good luck.

I used Olympic Maximum stain and sealer because of it's mildew resistance,(high humidity here) UV protection and it's scuff resistant. It's definitely a deck and fence product so it would work great outdoors. That said I do agree with others to get professional help. Tell them what you want to accomplish and see what they suggest for your climate.

I made a gun cart and used Thompson's Honey Oak stain and sealer with great results. 8 years now and still looks great.

7d9f19dd-d54e-4b67-becf-159d38dffb48.jpg

I used Olympic Maximum stain and sealer because of it's mildew resistance,(high humidity here) UV protection and it's scuff resistant. It's definitely a deck and fence product so it would work great outdoors. That said I do agree with others to get professional help. Tell them what you want to accomplish and see what they suggest for your climate.

I made a gun cart and used Thompson's stain and sealer with great results. 8 years now and still looks great.

I would trust Gumbo no questions asked. Check out his table he made: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=4444

That thing is freaking awesome.

At least for this project I settled on Olympic Maximum semi-transparent in black for the frame and Australian Timber oil semi-transparent in mahogany red for the top and bottom shelves. It says on the can it can be used for outdoor furniture and this is an outdoor table. I'll know for sure if this was a good choice or not after I get it on the wood.

Finally something I am really good at, 26 years in the paint business. What kind of hardwood are you using and how much sun exposure do you get? And is it going to stay covered most or the time or no cover at all?

Well - it's too late but your advice will be useful to the next soul so..

Oak, cedar and treated pine. Covered under a small gazebo but the sun will hit it regardless at least 6 hours a day. Unless I remember to cover it before the storm it will likely get wet depending on how bad the rain.

I ended up using Olympic maximum deck/fence semi on the treated wood and Cabot Australian timber oil semi on the oak and cedar parts. Hope I chose well!