wood finish products - help -

philpom

I'm new to the kamado world, but I have been doing woodworking for a few years. One of my biggest projects to date is building a teardrop camper. Most of the exterior of the camper is covered in aluminum but the tongue box is wood (cedar).

It is probably overkill but this is how I finished the tongue box to stand up to the elements. For the aged look, I stained the cedar with aniline dye. After allowing a couple of weeks to dry, I applied four coats of Raka epoxy. Epoxy is not UV-resistant, so after the epoxy I applied 3 coats of Em9300 by Target Coatings. which is a clear, flexible urethane designed for harsh environments.

Following are a few pictures of my teardrop camper showing the tongue box, the camper, and the rear galley area. (I built the galley cabinets from red oak and applied an "ebonized finish" - using black india ink to stain the wood, then one coat of dark brown glaze, followed by four coats of polyurethane. The counter is glass mosaic tile.)

8705180012_e54ed9a992_z.jpg

8705180070_e85dc019f0_z.jpg

8704056467_dae5927d89_z.jpg

Finally something I am really good at, 26 years in the paint business. What kind of hardwood are you using and how much sun exposure do you get? And is it going to stay covered most or the time or no cover at all?

Well - it's too late but your advice will be useful to the next soul so..

Oak, cedar and treated pine. Covered under a small gazebo but the sun will hit it regardless at least 6 hours a day. Unless I remember to cover it before the storm it will likely get wet depending on how bad the rain.

I ended up using Olympic maximum deck/fence semi on the treated wood and Cabot Australian timber oil semi on the oak and cedar parts. Hope I chose well!

The Cabot TImber Oil is a good product for the hardwood, also Penofin is a good product for hardwood. Sikkens Dek or Log and Siding is a great product for anything and it leaves a nice satin finish. A interior wood stain finished with a few coats of spar varnish will give you a furniture type finish but I would only recommend it if your table was under cover or covered almost all of the time. The sun is very hard on Spar Varnish and it needs to be recoated often. You guys are great with cooking advice and I have learned alot here. Glad I could finally contribute something.

I'm thinking we need a Sticky Topic so we can get all the wood working experts opinions on construction tips, and stains, and all that good stuff.

Let us see if this works. I think it is a good start, I see some good advice, I made it a sticky.

Thanks pkinetics for the idea!

This time of year I am really busy at work, and am lucky if I can get on here once a week. But if anyone has any questions about wood finishes you can send me a pm and I will answer them as quick as I can. Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Having lived on a boat and driving ships for many years I do have some experience with wood and finishes in a marine environment. The yachting community I'm sure has tried every product ever made to keep their boats looking ship shape and Bristol fashioned. The talk around the yard is usually something like 'what are you using? it really looks great'. I personally used varnish. When I would pull into a port people would say 'that really looks great, what kind is it , and I wish we could get something like that here'. I would stay a few days to re-provision and re coat the bright-work with what ever local product I could find. Next port same thing. 'Wish we could get that here'. Bottom line is you have to keep at it no matter what product you choose to use.

Sorry for the long post but I do like a good sea story. :D

Captndan - I like your style! I've always maintained that it's easier to polish polish than to have to put a ton of elbow grease in a task to get something up to snuff (Bristol fashion)! People tell me that I'm obsessive about keeping my kamados maintained and spotless, but I've found that if you take care of your tools, your tools will take care of you!

Here's to great cooks and even better memories with family and friends!

Thank a vet for their service this weekend.

• 4 weeks later...

First of all... Good to see the usual suspects are still around! I'm very busy building pools and try to sneak a cook in here and there..

Anyways, the topic caught my eye. I just stained and pollied ( new word?) a picnic table with a min wax product called pecan satin. It came out awesome, I am no wood worker.

But I did impress myself, prior to staining I took a gas torch to the wood and it darkened the lumber grain and looks really cool, like somebody who had talent did it.. (I just got lucky) my 2 cents, torch it before you stain & min wax poly stain combo product worked great for me.

Now off to post my chargriller tragedy....

Good to see you gurus!!

Ray

• 3 months later...

At this point I haven't seen or used anything I'd ever try again other than Sikkens' Cetol - Marine ($$$$) or the Cetol deck product sold at HD ($$).  Marine Teak is what I've been using on my outdoor teak table and bench and it lasts and lasts through multiple seasons of rain and sun without any issues whatsoever (covered over the winter with a breathable cover).  Put a friend onto Cetol this past summer for his IPE deck and it's also worked wonders there.  Oil, which he'd been using for years, needed to be applied at least twice per season and still left him with an bleached and dried-out looking surface for months at a time.  One application of Cetol and it's been issue free the entire summer - one thin re-coat every season will keep it looking just as good.

• 5 months later...

Any feedback on Olympic Elite stain. Lowes told me they don't sell Cabot Timber Oil anymore and this is just as good or better. Comments.

I would go somewhere else then, while I have no experience with the Olympic Elite stain I can say that after a year with my table outside the Cobot Timber Oil cleans up like new and it takes a good scrubbing.

I like it so much I did our deck up at our mountain cabin with the stuff, expecting 20 year from it.

• 2 years later...