Sign in to follow this  
Grill_Boy

Grate Cleaner

So I cook about 4-5 days a week and the grate has gunked up pretty good.

(Gunk is a technical term for accumulation of the grisly remains of cooking)

Anywho, wondered what products anyone has had luck with on spray-on/ soak/ etc to clean up the grate.

Build a hot fire and clean everything. If you don't want to waste charcoal you can use cardboard boxes and firewood.   It will be smokey but very hot and cleans everything.  I put my daisy wheel in too and it came out very clean.

This is how I get my grates spotless on my Weber Genesis Gold so I’m sure it’ll work on any kamado... place a layer or two of HD foil on top of your grates and heat to high. The foil acts as a heat shied and the heat from under concentrates and burns off all the grate goo. Works like a charm. 

Used some junk from Wmart ( who is selling Royal Oak by the way ) and put the grate in 3 plastic bags dumped the 'stuff' and let it setup, seemed to help a lot. Scraped and scrubbed and waxed and buffed and rinsed. Wasn't satisfied used some baking soda and vinegar that seemed to loosen some up as well.... scraped and scrubbed and waxed and buffed and rinse now building a hot fire to let it burn off.

I think next time I'm gonna find a ulta-big pizza box and line it with foil and plastic bag and set it in there so all the 'stuff' soaks .. didn't have a good flat surface and that kinda hindered my plan this time.

25 minutes ago, Grill_Boy said:

Used some junk from Wmart ( who is selling Royal Oak by the way ) and put the grate in 3 plastic bags dumped the 'stuff' and let it setup, seemed to help a lot. Scraped and scrubbed and waxed and buffed and rinsed. Wasn't satisfied used some baking soda and vinegar that seemed to loosen some up as well.... scraped and scrubbed and waxed and buffed and rinse now building a hot fire to let it burn off.

I think next time I'm gonna find a ulta-big pizza box and line it with foil and plastic bag and set it in there so all the 'stuff' soaks .. didn't have a good flat surface and that kinda hindered my plan this time.

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get you a cement mixing tub. Roughly 24"x18"x6". Hard plastic. Less than $10 if I remember correctly. In the cement/brick/block isle. 

I have one sitting around back but it's dark and I don't have on any shoes so I don't want to go take an exact measurement. 

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 6:29 PM, ckreef said:

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get you a cement mixing tub. Roughly 24"x18"x6". Hard plastic. Less than $10 if I remember correctly. In the cement/brick/block isle. 

I have one sitting around back but it's dark and I don't have on any shoes so I don't want to go take an exact measurement. 

Good idea - thanks