Hi

FP - I'm thinking of getting the Akorn Jr, but I saw on their amazon listing the damper adjustment chart  goes up to 450 -- i want to sear above 450, and elsewhere it says 700. 

practically speaking, how hot does the akorn jr get?

what are it's plusses and minuses compared to the kj jr - both regarding heat and all other aspects?

Thanks!!

-Neal

2 hours ago, bosco said:

welcome to the forum.  Check out the introduction section and tell us a little about yourself!!

I’m probably just going to embarrass myself, but, is there still an intro section? I can’t find it anymore.

1 hour ago, prowe said:

I’m probably just going to embarrass myself, but, is there still an intro section? I can’t find it anymore.

Ahhhhh, there is a little arrow I needed to hit.

You might want to contact CharGriller and find out what the safe max temp for those metal grills are.  Not having one, all I can add is that 700°F is no problem at all for a ceramic grill, but a metal grill like the Akorn might have some warping issues at that temperature.  And it would be nice to know that before it happens. :)

I do a burn-off on my KJ Classic II after each cook to keep it clean.  After removing the food, I open the vents all the way.  From opening the vents all the way to 700°F takes about 7 or 8 minutes after each cook.

Tom

Based on an experience I had a few weeks ago, I'd say the akorn jr will probably hit 700 degrees.  I was cooking at my rv and was using several appliances including the akorn, jr. which I wasn't watching very close while wanting to get it up to about 350 degrees.  I had both vents open about half way and had started the charcoal with one of those haystack starters.  When I checked the jr probably about 20 minutes later, the thermometer was pegged out at over the 500 degree mark.  I can't say exactly how hot it was, but it was too hot for me to use.  The thermometer didn't do well through the experience and I'm going to replace it.  It reads over 200 now when the jr is cold.  Good news was I had a backup grill and the whole beef tenderloin I was preparing still came out great. :)

Y'know, for whatever it  might be worth ... "I don't use my Akorn 'at high heat.'"  Instead, I use it as "a charcoal-fired convection oven," and run it at around 300ºF.  If I want to "sear" something, I (gradually ....) heat up a cast iron skillet very-hot on my kitchen stove, then plop the cooked steak onto it at the last minute to get the desired "sear."  In this way, the meat acquires both of the desired characteristics – a very nice "charcoal/smoke flavor," and "a sear" – albeit from two very different sources.  My tongue can't tell the difference.  :-D

In my experience, "things get much more difficult to control when the heat gets high (during the primary cooking process)."  So, I prefer to take it nice-n-slow, gently leading the meat up close to temperature, then letting it "tent" under aluminum foil to go the rest of the way, as I would do if I didn't plan to sear it.  The hot-skillet then does the searing step, usually in less than a minute, at that point without actually [much ...] further cooking the meat.  "First one step, then the other."

@nealc

The thermostat on my few month old Akorn Jr goes to 700.

And, I'm quite sure it would do that! I've read quite a bit on here, and seen a fair amount of videos - all for the Akorn Jr - and people sear and high temp cook with them all the time!

I've personally had mine to 600 a handful of times. No issues. You're good to go.

However, my personal thoughts are that after about 600, you may be causing a little undue stress on your grill. Particularly on the gaskets. I've read heat will supposedly cause them to wear & degrade quite a bit faster.... Therefore, that's not something I personally do. But you CAN. I'd keep it under 575 for pretty similar results & more longevity/less headache. My 2 cents.

I can however, whole-heartedly recommend the Akorn Jr - it's a fantastic little grill!

Happy cooking, and eating! :)

The Akorn Jr was my first Kamado Style Grill and I had the temp gauge buried to clean it and cast iron grate a few times without issue just don't let it go for longer than 10 mins. Anything you would cook at that temp would only take a few minutes anyway so go for it if you are trying to do high temp pizza etc.

Scott

Edited by Scott Roberts

(Chuckle ...)  Methinks that a pizza ... or much of anything else ... subjected to such temperatures would quickly be vaporized!  :mrgreen:

While I'm quite sure that the grill's sturdy construction will take any temperatures you care to throw at it, I really do think that the power of this grilling system is subtlety.  Which, of course, is "a thing that a conventional grill knows not of."  If "sear" is what your taste-buds are longing for, my kitchen stove based cast-iron skillet can oblige you in two minutes flat, after the grill has prepared a piece of meat more juicy than your cast-off "Smokey Joe" could ever touch.

"Two-step cooking processes."  I daresay that your favorite restaurants already use these things much more than you realize . . .  (Hey, they're entitled to keep their "delicious trade secrets ...")

I think the big consideration with high heat on an akorn jr. Is longevity. It's thought that the high heat causes acceleration of the corrosion process. This is what I've gathered from Reading copious posts on this forum. Having said that, I dearly want to acquire an akorn jr. For myself. I plan to use it for high heat searing while I use my Akorn for cooking the steak to under the desired temp and finishing on the akorn jr.

On 11/1/2019 at 2:32 AM, lnarngr said:

I think the big consideration with high heat on an akorn jr. Is longevity. It's thought that the high heat causes acceleration of the corrosion process. This is what I've gathered from Reading copious posts on this forum. Having said that, I dearly want to acquire an akorn jr. For myself. I plan to use it for high heat searing while I use my Akorn for cooking the steak to under the desired temp and finishing on the akorn jr.

I want an Akorn Jr. for that reason too, haven't seen them on a big enough sale in awhile.  I ended up getting Weber 22" Kettle for that.  Benefits are hey a good kettle is always useful for stuff and I can use super cheap briquettes for those high heat finishes.  Edit: picked the kettle up used for $50 for a premium kettle in barely used shape.

Edited by Tarnation
More information

7 hours ago, levic900rr said:

I think the key to longevity is keeping the Jr inside. I keep mine in the garage and it looks brand new still... 

QFT.

Keeping it inside, and keeping moisture out, is the key to a long life for any metal grill.  My Weber Performer Gen 2 is nine years old... and cooking steaks outside right now. :)

Tom