Raphael

Top vent loose

I've been getting to know my KJ Classic II for a few months now and keep noticing that my top vent assembly isn't as tight on the lid as I would like.

It's not so bad when the vent is partly open but when I swing the vent wide open it's very noticeable, especially once it warms up.

Plus, a little siren goes off inside my head when the text doesn't line up perfectly in the centre! :-D 

Wondering if anyone had similar issues and if so, how you went about fixing it. 

More felt? It would need to be heat proof I suppose. Will try to source some to fit and see if it improves. 

Any other suggestions? 

46 minutes ago, Raphael said:

It's not so bad when the vent is partly open but when I swing the vent wide open it's very noticeable, especially once it warms up.

THAT, in my opinion, is the only design flaw on the Kontrol Tower.  I do not like the fact that it spins off to the side like that.  I just pull the top piece off instead of sliding mine to the side.  I recommend that option as well.  

Yes i found the same issue with the Kontrol Tower when I replaced the daisy wheel especially after doing a pizza cook at high temps. I put on the new gasket too high up on the chimney so redid it lower down. Despite marking the position of the KT with a sharpie it ended up a  bit low which leaves some of the gasket visible but the tower does not move at all regardless of temps. I will run a blade around once I am sure the gasket has settled:

20190921_104520.thumb.jpg.765476eec2ed93bcd55b10546c8c8aea.jpg

Extra felt sounds like it will do the trick so. I'll try to source some and see how it goes. 

Will also try John's suggestion of taking the cap off rather than sliding over in the meantime. Just need somewhere to put it down that won't melt! 

Thanks all. 

Adding more felt will not give the best result as the KT then sits too high up. I removed the original felt and replaced it with a strip of Smokeware Nomex felt. Put the KT on the chimney, mark around the edge with a sharpie and fit tape to that mark. The chimney is tapered hence you want the KT as low as possible. You may have to trim some exposed felt as you can see in the above photo. Easy to do as you can run a blade around the base of the KT and peel off the excess. bear in mind the KT, being alloy, expands when hot so you may want to do a couple of high temp cooks and take the opportunity of pressing down the KT to make sure it remains a tight fit. 

My top vent has been loose since i bought the grill a little over a year ago and has caused no problem whats so ever. I think i only used the slide about 2 or 3 to light the grill i  then i started just taking the top part off to light the grill. If it's hot when you need to take the top part off you will need gloves and just place it on the shelf on top of one of the gloves till it cools