Bgosnell151

Fireboard FBX11 or ThermoWorks Signal

Hey all.  After having my igrill2 for 3 years, which included a bout with a rainstorm and no raincoat, it’s getting time to replace it.  I really want to move away from Bluetooth and towards WiFi.  As my boys get older, I find myself on the go much more.  Sure would be nice to be able to monitor my low and slow cooks while going to their games and such.  I really like both of these, with each having features that I like more than the other.  My favorite feature of each is the ThermoWorks being water resistant while the Fireboard seems to have a much better app experience.  I am in the process of planning my outdoor kitchen, which would include a roof over my head (and the thermometers head), so is the water resistance necessary?  It’s such a tough choice.  I like that the Fireboard is nicely priced at $189 vs the $229 of the ThermoWorks.  It does only come with 2 meat probes, but I’m using it with my KJ Classic II, so the need for more than 2 is minimal at this point.  I currently have 4 probes, but have never used all 4 at once.

anyone have any thoughts or experience with either?

Signal, for sixty bucks you can add the Billows fan. 

Having said that I have used or owned neither but I do have a Thermoworks Smoke. Just got it and immediately regretted not going for the signal for the app/graphing capability. 

25 minutes ago, lnarngr said:

Signal, for sixty bucks you can add the Billows fan. 

Having said that I have used or owned neither but I do have a Thermoworks Smoke. Just got it and immediately regretted not going for the signal for the app/graphing capability. 

If you add the bridge, can’t you gain that functionality?

6 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

Fireboard.

The software on the Signals/Billows leaves a LOT to be desired.  I say it's not quite ready for prime time.  The Signals/Billows also doesn't have a custom fit connection for your Kamado.  You will have to rig one yourself.

Too bad, they should figure out how to do it right! 

Anybody know how the Smoke Gateway app compares to others? 

19 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

Fireboard.

The software on the Signals/Billows leaves a LOT to be desired.  I say it's not quite ready for prime time.  The Signals/Billows also doesn't have a custom fit connection for your Kamado.  You will have to rig one yourself.

Thx John.

Just now, Bgosnell151 said:

Thx John.

If all you are interested in is monitoring temperatures, the Signals is ok.  It's probably a BETTER device than the Fireboard because its solidly made and durable.  The Fireboard is NEITHER of those unless you buy the $55 add-on case for it.

5 hours ago, John Setzler said:

If all you are interested in is monitoring temperatures, the Signals is ok.  It's probably a BETTER device than the Fireboard because its solidly made and durable.  The Fireboard is NEITHER of those unless you buy the $55 add-on case for it.

Now so have no clue what to do... that makes it more expensive than the ther.

On 9/22/2019 at 2:09 AM, John Setzler said:

These things are expensive.  I dont see any need to have a leave in thermometer unless its part of a full control system.  

So my thought is a little different.  I don’t understand why anyone would get a full control system.  I can get my temps settled and can ride comfortably for 12 hours without checking it.  I have 2 young boys that I like to be able to put something on and want to be able to monitor it while I’m on the go with them.  These are cheaper than a full control system.

I’m not saying that anyone that wants/has a full control system is wrong, just sharing my mindset.

I would recommend the fireboard. 

Of the devices mentioned, I have a thermoworks smoke and two fireboards. I don't think I've used the smoke since I received my first fireboard, especially after the update which allowed me to use thermo works pro series probes with the fireboard. I do have the fan controller and a pit viper fan. I prefer to manually set my vents but it nice to have the fan set on the occasions when I need to use it. 

12 hours ago, Bgosnell151 said:

So my thought is a little different.  I don’t understand why anyone would get a full control system.  I can get my temps settled and can ride comfortably for 12 hours without checking it.  I have 2 young boys that I like to be able to put something on and want to be able to monitor it while I’m on the go with them.  These are cheaper than a full control system.

I’m not saying that anyone that wants/has a full control system is wrong, just sharing my mindset.

Yea.. we just don't understand each other's logic.  I have cooked enough meat that I know about how long its' gonna take.  I have no lack of confidence leaving the house on a brisket or butt cook and return home before it's done.  I see specific benefits in having a control system that are completely unrelated to being able to run the grill for extended periods of time without any hands-on interaction.  

The control system saves me tons of time at the beginning of the cook.  I use mine to fire up my grill for every cooking situation I can imagine.  My hands on time for grill setup ends when I light the fire and engage the fan.  I don't have to visit the grill again until it's time to put the food on it.  I do my food prep and don't have to come and go from the grill to adjust vents and dial in a specific temp cooking range.  

If you ARE cooking something like a butt or a brisket, you can't just put the meat on and leave the grill unattended for quite a while.  It takes a couple hours for that grill to become stable.  

To get a good quality leave-in thermometer with remote monitoring capability, you are gonna spend $200.  You don't have to spend much more than that to get one that will control the grill for you as well.  $229-$249 gets you a controller with remote control.  

To me, it just makes sense.  I used to be hardcore on the 'i do not need a temperature controller' band wagon.  I still don't NEED one.  I can control the grill without it too.  I have just decided to take advantage of what it has to offer me in terms of time savings.  

On 9/21/2019 at 11:25 AM, John Setzler said:

Fireboard.

Signals w/Billows works great for me and they have kamado adapters for the Billows and have for a while, $6 add on.