Bgosnell151

Fireboard FBX11 or ThermoWorks Signal

Sign up for ThermoWorks email list, they just had 23% off open box sale on Signals which would've been $173, had a 15% off site wide about a month and a half ago and 20% Signals last month which is when I bought mine for $183

20 minutes ago, Kamado Tom said:

Signals w/Billows works great for me and they have kamado adapters for the Billows and have for a while, $6 add on.

Have they given the software the ability to detect a lid open condition yet?  I haven't tried mine again in quite a while.  When I open the lid and it detects a temperature drop, it starts running the fan which was over stoking the fire.

23 minutes ago, Kamado Tom said:

Signals w/Billows works great for me and they have kamado adapters for the Billows and have for a while, $6 add on.

That is good to hear.  I picked up the Signals/Billows combo during the open box sale this weekend.  Should be here this week and I'm excited to try it out on a butt.

25 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

Have they given the software the ability to detect a lid open condition yet?  I haven't tried mine again in quite a while.  When I open the lid and it detects a temperature drop, it starts running the fan which was over stoking the fire.

no it doesn't detect this yet, (maybe in a future update) but then it works to my advantage when cooking pizzas, at first I simply unplugged the billows when opening but honestly it hasn't over stoked really bad as ive used it more and it maintains very even temp once you figure out where to set the top vents. Admittedly when I first used it I was not impressed as it would only maintain +/- 10F but after playing around with top vent settings it now maintains +/- 2-3 degrees consistently. I don't think its the best controller on the market but if you shop smart and buy it right it's the one of the best for the money and definitely a top notch temp monitor w/o the Billows

+/- 10 degrees is nothing at all to worry about.  I just don't think the overall solution is as good as anything else out there already.  I think the Signals is the best of the best when it comes to simply monitoring temps though.

6 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Yea.. we just don't understand each other's logic.  I have cooked enough meat that I know about how long its' gonna take.  I have no lack of confidence leaving the house on a brisket or butt cook and return home before it's done.  I see specific benefits in having a control system that are completely unrelated to being able to run the grill for extended periods of time without any hands-on interaction.  

The control system saves me tons of time at the beginning of the cook.  I use mine to fire up my grill for every cooking situation I can imagine.  My hands on time for grill setup ends when I light the fire and engage the fan.  I don't have to visit the grill again until it's time to put the food on it.  I do my food prep and don't have to come and go from the grill to adjust vents and dial in a specific temp cooking range.  

If you ARE cooking something like a butt or a brisket, you can't just put the meat on and leave the grill unattended for quite a while.  It takes a couple hours for that grill to become stable.  

To get a good quality leave-in thermometer with remote monitoring capability, you are gonna spend $200.  You don't have to spend much more than that to get one that will control the grill for you as well.  $229-$249 gets you a controller with remote control.  

To me, it just makes sense.  I used to be hardcore on the 'i do not need a temperature controller' band wagon.  I still don't NEED one.  I can control the grill without it too.  I have just decided to take advantage of what it has to offer me in terms of time savings.  

STOP SPENDING MY MONEY JOHN... Hahahaha.  

I’m a bit of a nerd I love to graph my cooks.  When you say a temp controller with a remote for $229-$249, can you give me a few suggestions to look at to see if they have the features I like?

By the way, thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback, as well as everyone else on here.  I really appreciate it.  Just one of the great things about this place.

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

+/- 10 degrees is nothing at all to worry about.  I just don't think the overall solution is as good as anything else out there already.  I think the Signals is the best of the best when it comes to simply monitoring temps though.

Was being kind, it was more like 15* and to me isn't about the actual temp. but the relative stability of the fire. Learning how much the top vent should be open drastically improved the ThermoWorks performance, Billows doesn't work well when choking down the air flow a lot and having the fan do the heavy lifting but rather when the vent is closed just enough to keep the temp from soaring. I have found for my egg w/Smokeware cap that ~225* open 1/8th, ~300* 1/4, ~350* 1/2, ~450* full, cap off full fan get ~500F then I can open the lower vent and go from there.

13 minutes ago, Bgosnell151 said:

STOP SPENDING MY MONEY JOHN... Hahahaha.  

I’m a bit of a nerd I love to graph my cooks.  When you say a temp controller with a remote for $229-$249, can you give me a few suggestions to look at to see if they have the features I like?

By the way, thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback, as well as everyone else on here.  I really appreciate it.  Just one of the great things about this place.

If you have a Kamado Joe, the iKamand is $229.  The Flame Boss 400 is $219 now that I look it up... I thought it was higher.. I think I remember paying a little more than that for mine but who knows....

5 minutes ago, Kamado Tom said:

Was being kind, it was more like 15* and to me isn't about the actual temp. but the relative stability of the fire. Learning how much the top vent should be open drastically improved the ThermoWorks performance, Billows doesn't work well when choking down the air flow a lot and having the fan do the heavy lifting but rather when the vent is closed just enough to keep the temp from soaring. I have found for my egg w/Smokeware cap that ~225* open 1/8th, ~300* 1/4, ~350* 1/2, ~450* full, cap off full fan get ~500F then I can open the lower vent and go from there.

I tried the Billows about 4 times before I tossed it in the dead accessories box here at the Man Cave.  I just didn't like it.  I think everything else I have just works better for me than that one.  

Temperature swings are something that just doesn't bother me.  I understand cooking well enough to know it's not an issue.  If I wanna cook at 300°F all I care about is that my average temperature was close to 300°F after I put my food on.  This need for accuracy in the BBQ community baffles me :)  I think these temp controllers created the need for that accuracy.  How the heck did we ever cook decent food before we had those things?  

53 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

If you have a Kamado Joe, the iKamand is $229.  The Flame Boss 400 is $219 now that I look it up... I thought it was higher.. I think I remember paying a little more than that for mine but who knows....

Great, now I want the iKamand.  You sold me on the fact that it makes it easier to start and get to temp.  I think J prefer the iKamand over the Flame Boss 400 as you only get one meat probe with the Flame Boss and three with the iKamand.  After watching some videos, my only question is, are all iKamands sold now gen 2?  I actually have an order in with KJ now, which maybe I can get it a bit sooner if I order the iKamand.

15 minutes ago, Bgosnell151 said:

Great, now I want the iKamand.  You sold me on the fact that it makes it easier to start and get to temp.  I think J prefer the iKamand over the Flame Boss 400 as you only get one meat probe with the Flame Boss and three with the iKamand.  After watching some videos, my only question is, are all iKamands sold now gen 2?  I actually have an order in with KJ now, which maybe I can get it a bit sooner if I order the iKamand.

You only get one with the iKamand also.  They sell the extra probe kit as an add on unfortunately.  All the iKamands are the Gen 2.  

1 minute ago, John Setzler said:

You only get one with the iKamand also.  They sell the extra probe kit as an add on unfortunately.  All the iKamands are the Gen 2.  

Awesome thanks.  I misspoke and meant that you can use up to three probes, but definitely didn’t say it that way.

Thanks for all the input and feedback everyone.  I placed an order for an iKamand this AM and couldn’t be more excited about it.  

Hopefully my new deflector shows up around the same time as the iKamand.  And thanks to the savings from Atlanta Grill company, I was also able to throw in a bottle of HardCore Carnivore Black and still save $10 over expected price I would be paying.