I have come to the conclusion that grass fed beef is way inferior to USDA Choice and especially USDA Prime.  The fat content simply isn’t there.  Has anyone found a grass fed beef source that has a good fat content?  My wife is fixated on the grass fed thing and I think it’s mostly a scam.  I read somewhere that beef labeled grass fed is actually grain fed in the last month or so to finish it off anyway and that you need to look for grass fed, grass finished if you want full on grass fed meat.  Either way so far I am not a fan.

Yes grass fed and grain finished is the best of both worlds and is the type of beef I want to buy. I won't buy grass fed and finished beef.. 

While on the subject, butchers are constantly trying to say - "Our select, top end choice is just as good as prime". I call bull ####e. True prime is always better, they're just trying to sell you their choice grade. Not that it's bad, just not as good as prime. 

I think this depends heavily on source. We buy a "whole beef" every year from a local farm and split with friends. It is grass fed/grass finished, Jersey cattle, the male babies from our local ice creamery. Super small by beef cattle standards. By all accounts, it should not be ideal. It is absolutely fantastic. The farm that raises the beef watches everything, the butcher really knows what they are doing, and the dry age is usually 28 days. It has gotten to the point where I try to sneak other ground beef by my family and they ask what is different. There is certainly a nice amount of fat in ours. 

There is so much absurdity in claims, labeling, fake grading, etc, that my advice is find a source your trust and go from there. We have great luck with our local farm/butcher, Costco, and Restaurant Depot. I cannot remember the last time I bought beef at a conventional grocery store. 

On 9/22/2019 at 6:59 PM, GiffS said:

I have come to the conclusion that grass fed beef is way inferior to USDA Choice and especially USDA Prime.  The fat content simply isn’t there.  Has anyone found a grass fed beef source that has a good fat content?  My wife is fixated on the grass fed thing and I think it’s mostly a scam.  I read somewhere that beef labeled grass fed is actually grain fed in the last month or so to finish it off anyway and that you need to look for grass fed, grass finished if you want full on grass fed meat.  Either way so far I am not a fan.

Nearly all cattle are grass fed. 
I wish that would just die already. 

Grass fed vs grain fed is always an argument.  If you give a crap about the beef you eat, you will know where your beef came from and how it was raised.  

We all love to talk about how we love craft beers... single malt whisky... cuban cigars... and a long list of other finer things in life.  If you give a crap about the food you eat, you would never buy much grocery store beef ever again.  Sure.. there is some decent quality grocery store beef.  Do you know where it came from?  Do you know where it was raised?  Do you know how it was raised?  Do you know what it was fed?  

I am a relatively new believer in the KNOW YOUR BUTCHER philosophy.  I have all but quit buying beef in grocery and big box stores.  I admit that I do pay more for what I buy now but it's worth it.  Living where I live, I have to mail order my beef to get what I want but I am OK with that.

On 9/22/2019 at 7:59 PM, GiffS said:

Has anyone found a grass fed beef source that has a good fat content?

I like www.sevensons.net beef is good, chicken is good, pork is good. The ground breakfast sausage is a home run. 

On 9/22/2019 at 10:17 PM, gotzero said:

I think this depends heavily on source. We buy a "whole beef" every year from a local farm and split with friends. It is grass fed/grass finished, Jersey cattle, the male babies from our local ice creamery. Super small by beef cattle standards. By all accounts, it should not be ideal. It is absolutely fantastic. The farm that raises the beef watches everything, the butcher really knows what they are doing, and the dry age is usually 28 days. It has gotten to the point where I try to sneak other ground beef by my family and they ask what is different. There is certainly a nice amount of fat in ours.

where do you get your beef? I live in jersey and might wanna check that out

1 hour ago, Brandon Store said:

I like www.sevensons.net beef is good, chicken is good, pork is good. The ground breakfast sausage is a home run. 

where do you get your beef? I live in jersey and might wanna check that out

I meant "Jersey" as in breed. It is a dairy breed. We have a local creamery that does not need lots of males. 

On 9/22/2019 at 7:59 PM, GiffS said:

A friend of mine owns a meat company in Toronto that provides many of our top steakhouses with their meat.  He has told me that a lot of "grass fed beef" is finished with grain feed, so it is not truly grass fed.  Although (consistent with what others here have written), is that a lot of it depends on the source.  He has a couple of suppliers that he knows he is getting 100% grass fed and 100% grass finished.  

I have tried a lot of different cuts of grass fed and I am not a fan, although for different reasons.  For me, it's not about fat, it's about taste.  Every piece of grass fed beef I've tried seems almost "sour" to me.  Not like rotten, just a bit bitter or tart.  I love me some dry aged beef, so it's not even comparable to a well aged piece of beef, so I don't think "gamey" is the right word for me.  

In event, I am 100% happy with my typical USDA Prime Dry Aged Beef (which is grain fed).  

I’ve been interested in trying grass fed beef for the health aspects of it, grass fed beef is high in Omega-3 fatty acids instead of inflammatory Omega-6s. However, I really don’t like the price and don’t see how a cut of beef with so little intramuscular fat is better for you on a HFLC diet when you are also trying to watch your protein intake but that’s maybe me not completely understanding the science. If you look at grass fed animal produced butter, such as Kerrygold Irish Butter, it has a higher fat content then other non-grass fed premium butters. In the end, it’s about eating healthier, which I am trying to do. One day I’ll drop the extra coin on it to see for myself but as of this writing, I find it pretty hard to resist a nice USDA Choice or higher ribeye steak!

11 hours ago, Mr Cue said:

I’ve been interested in trying grass fed beef for the health aspects of it, grass fed beef is high in Omega-3 fatty acids instead of inflammatory Omega-6s. However, I really don’t like the price and don’t see how a cut of beef with so little intramuscular fat is better for you on a HFLC diet when you are also trying to watch your protein intake but that’s maybe me not completely understanding the science. If you look at grass fed animal produced butter, such as Kerrygold Irish Butter, it has a higher fat content then other non-grass fed premium butters. In the end, it’s about eating healthier, which I am trying to do. One day I’ll drop the extra coin on it to see for myself but as of this writing, I find it pretty hard to resist a nice USDA Choice or higher ribeye steak!

I think the health claims surrounding grass fed beef are basically smoke and mirrors.  I don't disagree that they have this stated health advantage.  What bugs me is that you don't know if this 'advantage' is significant or not.  Significance is everything.  When you say that grass fed beef is HIGH in Omega-3 fatty acids, you are just saying that it is higher than other beef.  How much higher is it?  Is it higher at a significant enough level that it makes any difference?  People are out there eating grass fed beef because they believe it is healthier for them.  Is grass fed beef any LOWER in saturated fat than other beef?  Saturated fat is the killer in red meat.  That's what causes coronary artery disease.  Sometimes I think this sort of information is just marketing hype.  It's like telling you that gummy bears have no trans fats.  

Sure, I believe a lot is hype, like Certified Angus Beef... Less than 10% of Beef is supposedly good enough to be labeled CAB and they claim it’s better than USDA Prime but then they throw a USDA Choice label beside the CAB sticker... it’s all about marketing to the right demographic. But if a board certified physician with no skin in the game tells me that grass fed is better for you than regular grain fed beef, I’ll entertain the notion. 

8 hours ago, Mr Cue said:

Sure, I believe a lot is hype, like Certified Angus Beef... Less than 10% of Beef is supposedly good enough to be labeled CAB and they claim it’s better than USDA Prime 

There are 2 really good butcher shops that I can get to. They both sell CAB. They both claim it's better than USDA Prime. It's a load of crap. Don't get me wrong they are both awesome butcher shops and the CAB is good but....... The true USDA Prime beef I can get at The Fresh Market is far better beef. It's just really expensive but it goes on sale on a regular basis so I usually wait for the sale and buy it half a primal at a time and cut it myself. 

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

There are 2 really good butcher shops that I can get to. They both sell CAB. They both claim it's better than USDA Prime. It's a load of crap. Don't get me wrong they are both awesome butcher shops and the CAB is good but....... The true USDA Prime beef I can get at The Fresh Market is far better beef. It's just really expensive but it goes on sale on a regular basis so I usually wait for the sale and buy it half a primal at a time and cut it myself. 

I have had the same experience.  I have even thought it was a somatic response but I’ve done blind taste tests and I consistently pick Prime over CAB.