gotzero

Gyro Rotisserie Meatloaf

I had a totally unproven idea in the works, but we are abnormally busy from tomorrow to the end of the month, so this is likely it for me. For football we decided to do gyros for lunch. We made so much and enjoyed the meal so much we had the same the dinner and the remainder already packed for lunches tomorrow. Yum!

I got my gyro making start from this site, specifically this recipe: 

Most of the time, we roll our own very similar to the recipe provided by @Rak73 but today we were in a rush. By our standards, this was a pretty lazy recipe, but we used BJ's meatloaf mix, panko breadcrumbs (I could not find our normal one) and Lidl's absurdly good Gyro seasoning mix. Add some olive oil and we are off to the Cuisinart!

1372071950_ScreenShot2019-09-22at9_44_56PM.thumb.jpg.25bc8c98e1590fbf1baa392be418fc0f.jpg

After the disgusting process of emulsifying the mix and getting all of the air out, I was left with this, which went in the fridge while I made a griddle breakfast and we had a fantastic morning playing with the kids. 

1971361007_ScreenShot2019-09-22at9_45_10PM.thumb.jpg.cb84325f89ae2bca94c98b01f2310f5b.jpg

After a few hours of cooling, it went to the kamado sitting at 375.

1646560914_ScreenShot2019-09-22at9_45_23PM.thumb.jpg.32551a74defb9015c4a22de4dbf7a0ca.jpg

These cooks create an absurd amount of smoke. I am so glad it is outside.

2031514198_ScreenShot2019-09-22at9_45_37PM.thumb.jpg.2aa68673c40675b5e3ef5c69c1af9e57.jpg

After about 75 minutes, I opened the cauldron to this delicious looking and smelling sight:

1418706849_ScreenShot2019-09-22at9_46_01PM.thumb.jpg.c8ca26cd975566e3db340c721b472e46.jpg

Sliced, thrown on a naan slice (I know...) with lettuce, onion, feta, and "tzatziki", which at our house is greek yogurt and the astonishingly good Lidl tzatziki seasoning. When Lidl has "greek week" I just walk to the spices and pick up entire cardboard sales boards. Not as perfect as when we go all out from the basics, but it is fantastically delicious and easy to do. The game did not go the way we wanted, but there was no complaining about the food from toddlers to seniors. 

1088146472_ScreenShot2019-09-22at9_47_22PM.thumb.jpg.c271f39dcc52ee74bbed37ec3125c59d.jpg

1 hour ago, Ron5850 said:

. I love Gyros and a meatloaf style gyro looks like something I could really go for. Nice job.

There used to be a place in Roanoke that served this style gyro, looked like hamburger rather than sliced. Not sure how they cooked it.

Looks good.

1 hour ago, SeaBrisket said:

I've been resisting the Joetisserie because I've never been sure it would provide enough variety to justify the cost but this is pushing me toward wanting one.

I've used a rotisserie on my gasser for years which I love. It just happened to be when I bought my Big Joe it came with a free Joetisserie. I would have bought it eventually anyway. For me it's a must-have accessory. Poultry comes out fantastic as well as roast beef. I've done leg of lamb on it. I bought a cheap basket to add to it and done fish. Seen people on this site use a round small drum style basket and they've done wings in it. The only downside about a joetisserie is its size. It's a little bit of a pain to store if you're tight on room. You don't use it everyday but when you use it wow.

50 minutes ago, Ron5850 said:

I've used a rotisserie on my gasser for years which I love. It just happened to be when I bought my Big Joe it came with a free Joetisserie. I would have bought it eventually anyway. For me it's a must-have accessory. Poultry comes out fantastic as well as roast beef. I've done leg of lamb on it. I bought a cheap basket to add to it and done fish. Seen people on this site use a round small drum style basket and they've done wings in it. The only downside about a joetisserie is its size. It's a little bit of a pain to store if you're tight on room. You don't use it everyday but when you use it wow.

Thanks. You hit on all the things I consider when debating the purchase. I do lots of chicken, so that would be plus for both whole and wings. I'd love to try it with leg of lamb and porchetta. Never considered fish on it, but we eat a lot of that. Storage space is definitely an issue. Do you leave it outside? I have a grill table and store most things either in my grill or on the lower shelf of the table. Would it be a bad idea to keep it outdoors?

2 hours ago, SeaBrisket said:

Do you leave it outside? I have a grill table and store most things either in my grill or on the lower shelf of the table. Would it be a bad idea to keep it outdoors?

No. I actually put it back in the box and stored in my garage. I never thought about leaving it outside. I guess it would be fine it seems like it's painted with the same paint that is on the kontrol tower. I don't think leaving the motor outside would be a good thing though. That's small enough to store inside.

On 9/24/2019 at 10:04 PM, JohnnyAppetizer said:

You need to put a photo here :

You hit all the marks, meatloaf, tasty, unique technique. Good  Luck!

I was reserving the right for another cook, but looking at the calendar for this weekend it is not happening. This is it!

On 9/24/2019 at 10:04 PM, JohnnyAppetizer said:

You need to put a photo here :

Thanks. I often will get something done early in the month to make sure I enter, and then wait and see if I come up with something else. This month I got swamped, and since nothing else happened today, this is it!

I wanted to come up with a chorizo/queso fresco rotisserie meatloaf, but there are already two awesome entries like that.