Smokingdadbbq

Oops, I did it again - bought another grill

As some of you may already know, I got my first Kamado Joe this summer which joined my line up at home of a large and MiniMax big green egg. Outside of two parties where I needed more cooking space, the Eggs have started collecting dust.  I am going to do a review video and when thats done they are going up for sale and I will build a new table for the Kamado Joe Classic III.

Over the past few years I've loved having multiple Kamado's but my eggs were different sizes and required stand alone bespoke accessories.  I like the idea of having two grills the same size so that I can swap gear between them as needed so I've pulled the trigger and ordered a second KJ Classic 3.

Can't wait to get working on the table, stay tuned 

Curious to see your side by side comparisons. I like my Classic II better than my LBGE, but wonder if it's a honeymoon phase. I got rid of my LBGE a few years ago and only had the Mini-Max until I got the Classic II last month. I'm more experienced in Kamado cooking and I've been using different lump, but really think I like the KJ way better than when I had my LBGE. I love the ash pan and the gasket system. The biggest side by side comparison I want to see is the drafting and your thoughts on even heat throughout. Please post as much as you can.   

2 hours ago, Drusen said:

Curious to see your side by side comparisons. I like my Classic II better than my LBGE, but wonder if it's a honeymoon phase. I got rid of my LBGE a few years ago and only had the Mini-Max until I got the Classic II last month. I'm more experienced in Kamado cooking and I've been using different lump, but really think I like the KJ way better than when I had my LBGE. I love the ash pan and the gasket system. The biggest side by side comparison I want to see is the drafting and your thoughts on even heat throughout. Please post as much as you can.   

Absolutely will share in an in-depth review.  Given you're already familiar with most of the differences between ash removal, divide and conquer, air lift hinge, gasket, KontrolTower top etc. i can however give a sneak peak into some major differences in thermal dynamics. 

I bought a CGS PS Woo and extender along with half moon stones to try and recreate some of the D&C magic, for my comparison I am using the stock OEM grill and platesetter  system from BGE to keep the comparisons more fair to an out of the box comparison.

The KJ 3 is taller than the egg, most of the extra height comes from the base, side by side there is more space between the firebox and your food than in the egg, on the contrary the egg has more headroom above the felt line.  

The airflow works better on the KJ3 with the basket than the egg does, its been a breeze getting and holding temps.  I've had the KJ hold 200 without an adjustment for 7 hours while doing hot peppers.... the egg normally isn't happy until hitting 225+

The SloRoller is a lights out winner.  With the egg you get large exposed areas to the fire that over long cooks mean that your ribs or brisket are likely to get burnt.  The SloRoller seems to radiate heat more evenly and since there are no exposed surface areas the usable space on the grill is night and day more accessible.

Will post more, but thats a teaser to get you started