Suggestions to up my slicing game

SeaBrisket

5 minutes ago, bcrgrill said:

I usually find discussions on knives rather humorous.

Many of our parents & grand-parents got along very well with knives of steel that many consider junk-steel today.  They butchered the hogs & chickens, etc., etc. & got along better than most of us!  But..............they learned to sharpen their instruments of use ( or got uncle Joe to do work on them when he came over).

Those old knives were high carbon steel like Hitachi steel so yes, they worked great.  As much as folks on this forum cook, I can't imagine not having the skills to maintain a knife.

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 2:07 AM, Family_cook said:

Those old knives were high carbon steel like Hitachi steel so yes, they worked great.  As much as folks on this forum cook, I can't imagine not having the skills to maintain a knife.

I didnt realise this forum was a novice free zone...

13 minutes ago, SeaBrisket said:

I've gone with the Dalstrong.

Google a video of guys that slice pastrami and corned beef for a living at Katz's deli.  You'll be happy with your choice.  And if anybody is intimidated by the size, let them know that it goes back and forth, not up and down.  The weight of the knife and the sharpness of the blade makes the cut.

1 hour ago, daninpd said:

Google a video of guys that slice pastrami and corned beef for a living at Katz's deli.  You'll be happy with your choice.  And if anybody is intimidated by the size, let them know that it goes back and forth, not up and down.  The weight of the knife and the sharpness of the blade makes the cut.

I used to live across the street from Katz!

I went to NYC for the first time a couple weeks ago. Wife wanted to see some broadway shows. I agreed if she promised we could try Katz at least once. Got a pastrami and a CB Ruben. Best pastrami I ever had. Ruben was ok. But ohhhhh, that pastrami did not disappoint.  Was the size of my head too.

36 minutes ago, prowe said:

I went to NYC for the first time a couple weeks ago. Wife wanted to see some broadway shows. I agreed if she promised we could try Katz at least once. Got a pastrami and a CB Ruben. Best pastrami I ever had. Ruben was ok. But ohhhhh, that pastrami did not disappoint.  Was the size of my head too.

What do the giant sandwiches run cost?  Last time I was in NY was a couple years ago.  I wanted to go to Carnegie Deli (thank you Adam Sandler) but I missed it by about six months and they had closed.  I thought about Katz but it was a bit of a trek and I was there during a snow storm. 

4 hours ago, taperunner said:

What do the giant sandwiches run cost?  Last time I was in NY was a couple years ago.  I wanted to go to Carnegie Deli (thank you Adam Sandler) but I missed it by about six months and they had closed.  I thought about Katz but it was a bit of a trek and I was there during a snow storm. 

Man, each Sammie was about twenty five bucks!  Maybe even a bit more than that. There is only 1size, and that size is giamungous!  

1 sammich is easily enough for 2 people. 2 large people.

9 hours ago, prowe said:

Best pastrami I ever had.

Yep, that's all I get every time!!

Scott

Hot Sandwiches
Katz's Pastrami Hot Sandwich $19.95 Smoked to juicy perfection and hand carved to your specifications.
Katz's Corned Beef Hot Sandwich $18.95  
Katz's Brisket Hot Sandwich $18.95  
Katz's Knoblewurst Hot Sandwich $16.95  
Rueben Hot Sandwich $20.25 Corned beef or pastrami, swiss cheese and sauerkraut combo.
Turkey Hot Sandwich $18.95 Hot, moist and tender.
Turkey Reuben Sandwich $22.95  
Turkey Combo Sandwich $21.75

Includes swiss cheese, sauerkraut and russian dressing.

insta-img6.jpg.1153070745aa76268de695cf06ce7e47.jpg

Edited by Scott Roberts

• 4 weeks later...

I have the Dalstrong Gladiator slicer, it will nearly slice as thin as a motorized slicer. I have had both and prefer the Dalstrong. In my opinion it is a better value than the Victornox. I am not however a knife snob. I was a machinist for 26 years and know sharpening methods as well as steels. It goes very sharp and holds an edge well. But I also love old Hickory knives, I form the handles, patina the blades and reprofile them. I can make a #7 butcher push cut post it notes.  A good measure for a working edge sharp for any kitchen in my opinion. 

Knives are one of those things that there is no one answer because there are to many variables to each individual including their preferences.  While some steels are inadequate and not redeemable, there are trade offs between many quality steels, the very best steels have their pro's and cons. It is always a very personal decision/opinion and you will come to your own bliss.