Char Griller Akron(Kamander) owner Help!

Hi, I have been researched over months. First I was looking for a gas grill then weber kettle. Now finally I am seattled down to Kamado style grill.

Akron or Kamander are my first choice now. How is the long term user's review on them, will they fall apart after 2-3 years or just some minor issues that doesn't effect the cooking ability.

I have never bbq before. I hope I can sear some serious steak on these kamado grill.

They are both on sale on my local walmart for 340 Canadian dollar(250 usd).

Thanks!

I went from a gasser to a weber kettle, then a Akorn and finally a Big Green Egg. I have nothing but love for the Akorn, at the time I didn't have the funds for a BGE and the Akorn served me well for years. When I got the BGE I passed the Akorn on to my Dad and he's not much of a griller but he's producing some good food off the Akorn. If you have the funds get what you want, if it's a KJ or BGE or whatever but if you don't you can't go wrong with a Akorn just make sure you get the smoking stone for indirect cooking and check out youtube for Akorn cooking tips. The reason I ended up buying a Akorn is because I stumbled across "Man Cave Meals" Youtube channel years ago when @John Setzler was cooking on a Akorn and it sold me on it.

Welcome, glad to have you with us. An Akorn is a good choice, and lot of folks here cook on them. I have seen truly amazing meals produced in Akorn member cooking posts. Though I have not cooked on one, from what I have seen an Akorn is a very capable kamado. Akorn are metal kamados and as such subject to rust. From time to time you will see a post reflecting this and how best to deal with it. 

I believe the two are almost the same. I have an over two year old Akorn and it's fantastic! Keep it covered and or remove the ash pan to keep it from holding water. Use good lump and COOK! The grease and oils will help protect it. 

Good Luck! Either are extremely capable grills and you can have fun producing egg-cellent 'Cue! 

You absolutely need to seal it to get it to work properly. But that's easy with help from Kamado Guru. 

I just found a recently resurrected thread that I had commented on shortly after getting my Akorn.  I was surprised to see that it was 5 years ago, and my grill is still going strong.  I keep mine on a covered porch, so it doesn't get directly rained on, but it will get blown rain and snow, along with other environmental exposure.  The only real mod I did was upgrading the gasketing.  I love my Akorn, and recommend them highly.  That said, the BGE and other ceramics are probably slightly more capable cookers.  They seem to be able to be controlled to somewhat lower temperatures than an Akorn, but they do use more fuel.  Ceramic kamados are also more weather resistant.  I know one of my friends has a BGE that is over 25 years old and still going strong.  I'd say that an Akorn is 80% of the grill at 20% of the price, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.  Good luck in your decision and purchase!

I quickly selected an Akorn, Jr. (yes, at Wal-Mart) and have been thoroughly satisfied with it ever since.  I really enjoyed getting the advantages of kamado-style cooking from a lightweight sturdy metal grill that I can easily take on camping trips and don't worry about breaking.  I store it with the bottom section placed upside-down beneath the unit (propped up with a very small rock) so that it cannot accumulate water.  Leaving the top vents slightly open for air circulation.

Basically, I treat this grill as a "charcoal-fired convection oven," and if I want to "sear" the meat I simply put it on a cast-iron skillet on my stove for a minute or so.  It produces consistently excellent results – "consistent" is the word – and is surprisingly stingy on fuel.  I think I made the best choice for me.   I would recommend it without hesitation to anyone.

Love my Akorn and Akorn Jr. Both have made such a difference in our BBQ from gas grills. The big plus in the Akorn for me was the insulated metal construction over the ceramic. I can move it all around and pick it up if I have to without any problem. The cost savings was a big help as well. Did not know if I was going to like kamado style cooking, so this was an easy way to start. Don't know if I will 'upgrade' to ceramic as the Akorns suits me well.

Just make sure you get one big enough to fit your needs. :)