Hedonist

Brisket fail. What did I do wrong?

Wow, so much knowledge in one thread. Thank you gents. Frank, that gives a very useful context to the specific details that I wouldn't normally recognise. 

16 hours ago, Hedonist said:

Thank you all. I've resolved to go with the following for my next cook, which will be a partial brisket around 4kg:

Slightly higher temp - 265

No liquid in the drip tray

At least 5 hours but prepared for as long as it needs

Open the lid less

The weight of the brisket does not alter how long it takes to break down the tough and chewy elements so you may not reduce the cook time all that much over a larger piece of brisket.

2 hours ago, Chasdev said:

The weight of the brisket does not alter how long it takes to break down the tough and chewy elements so you may not reduce the cook time all that much over a larger piece of brisket.

I'd agree with this and the comment earlier suggesting you try beef ribs, which are tastier in my opinion.  The last two briskets I've done were around 13-15 pounds.  Kept them between 285-300 and they were both probe tender all over in 9 hours or less.  Empty drip pan, no spraying, and I just pressed foil over the top of of it when it hit the stall.  Don't know if that helps anything, but it didn't slow it down!

I did separate the point from the flat mid-cook to make burnt ends, so that would speed up the process a little.  Good luck!

On 9/30/2019 at 10:59 AM, Chasdev said:

Resting is a great idea but remember to let it cool down to 170 or so before placing in the resting/holding container or it will continue to cook, which is fine if you pull it before it's done but bad if it's fully cooked as it will get overdone due to ''carry over''.

Overdone brisket falls apart and is dry.

I think this may have happened to me this weekend. I cooked to 203 degrees and pulled, tented under foil right away. It didnt fall apart, but it was a bit dry. I kept it in the fridge over night and added some broth to it and we had it last night and the flavor was incredible. So, not too disappointed, but initially I thought I ruined it because it seemed dry. I have lots left that will get re-used in other dishes. Still havent figured out all the nuances, but it sure is a fun process. Brisket is one of those you dont want to mess up because it hurts the wallet a lot more than many other things. :-)

4 hours ago, CaptainMusky said:

... pulled, tented under foil right away...

Tented, but not wrapped... I rest the meat wrapped in foil, to slow cooling and capture the moisture released as it rests. 

My personal "brisket nuance" is to control heat applied to the meat as it gets close to done. I loosely wrap at ~175F to keep moisture close to the meat and slow evaporation, similar to tenting a turkey to prevent browning. At 205F, I close up the foil to collect juice and slow the rest. 

Making me hungry...

Frank

Personally, and probably going against everyone else thinks, go look up the Harry Soo SlapYoDaddy BBQ on YouTube where he does it at much higher temps....brisket is just as good, much faster, and you don't lose any sleep.  I'm a convert.

55 minutes ago, SmallBBQr said:

Personally, and probably going against everyone else thinks, go look up the Harry Soo SlapYoDaddy BBQ on YouTube where he does it at much higher temps....brisket is just as good, much faster, and you don't lose any sleep.  I'm a convert.

I use a similar method

That having been said, you should have a decent understanding of trimming, done-ness and temp control before trying it

Basically, learn to drive at 50mph before you try to drive at 150mph

16 hours ago, SmallBBQr said:

I havent looked that up yet, but I have been doing my last 2 briskets at around 300 degrees. They blow past the stall this way. I just did a 11 or 12 pound brisket in around 6 hrs.

I havent ever wrapped mine, but may start that to see if that keeps them more moist. When I pulled it off the grill, I put in roasting pan and tented it with foil. This was probably my demise to being a bit dry like mentioned.