ckreef

Perfect Pan Pizza

Saw this on Instagram and grabbed it from Amazon Prime for less than $20. I've read the important parts and it's a good read if your goal is to make the Perfect Pan Pizza. He has some interesting dough ideas and techniques. He not only explains the how but also the why. Will be giving some of this a try next weekend. 

perfectpp.thumb.jpg.a4a6e7782969e7fcdc6c3b6f4ea51476.jpg

1 hour ago, Scott Roberts said:

How different is his philosophy than Forkish's for pan pizza dough?

Scott

I don't have a Forkish book so I can't comment on that. He does go a little outside the box compared to most pan pizza recipes you'd find on the internet. 

42 minutes ago, freddyjbbq said:

I Think I saw that post ,

What have you got on hand for Detroit pans? I was considering adding some 9x9 or 8x10.

a friend just bought 1/2 dozen 6x6 ; everyone gets cheesy corners/everybody wins! 

I have a 9" x 13" Detroit pan, 9" x 13" grandma pan, 12" diameter Chicago pan and 4 x 7" diameter personal pan pizzas pans. All Lloyd Pans (is there any others?) 

The book does give a conversion chart for different size pans. I'll figure that out. 

A few differences to the Forkish book so far:

• The Forkish recipes usually include 00 flour or AP flour whereas the dough recipes in the PPP book are based on bread flour. 
  • A major technique in almost all of the PPP recipes is to lay small cubes of cheese over the dough and allow the second rise (over several hours) to envelope the cheese. And then sprinkle lots of cheese cubes over the surface all the way to the edges. 
  • The PPP book focuses on thicker crust and no Neopolitan, and you'll also find recipes for focaccia and schiacciata pizzas/breads. 

Alrighty I followed the white dough with instant yeast recipe to the T. Followed his dimpleing technique and all. I even made his crushed tomato sauce following the exact recipe. I will say this turned out to be a great pan pizza. I believe the stretch and fold, the rise regiment, and the dimpleing techniques made a difference compared to other pan pizza attempts in the past. 

Next weekend I'm going to follow his 100% Sourdough levening recipe and techniques and see where that takes me. 

The pictures say it all. Two personal pan versions a pineapple and feta cheese, and a ham, pineapple, and feta cheese. The big one was a sausage and Jalapeño. Dough was initially par-baked. A very light, airy, soft texture - pan pizza heaven. 

pbg.thumb.jpg.76c9010d87284e1b265ef2e0a2e02e14.jpg

pbsd.thumb.jpg.b493ad80c7b08411c20130e5d1ac0066.jpg

pbsfinal.thumb.jpg.8d140053bacb4a70620a11861b496fe9.jpg

pbscrumb.thumb.jpg.2286be31d1e86d578217fec4af9da29e.jpg

For a bonus round I made a Ranier Cherry Crumble for desert. 

rcc.thumb.jpg.a741c522299be1202523310e03291fbe.jpg

4 hours ago, LargeRedJoe said:

Wow, great-looking crust in that closeup image!  

Yes sir that was a good picture. I was very pleased with the light, soft, airy crust that had the right amount of browning on the bottom. I'm a true fan of Lloyd Pans