Sign in to follow this  
dman

Fresh redfish, wine and Motown

On 10/3/2019 at 9:11 PM, Family_cook said:

You Mississippi guys are all alike.  Grab food out of your backyard, toss it on the grill and add wine.

Or sometimes beer! 

Wow, looks delicious. I grew up in Southern Calif and caught corbina out of the surf. I believe they are a relative of red fish.They can only be caught in the surf and are often called Chinese croaker because they have a growth on their chin that looks like a Chinese style beard.  Corbina are truly amazing tasting fish and my very favorite, but I have heard that red fish taste similar and are equally good. Got to catch some, some day. 

9 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Wow, looks delicious. I grew up in Southern Calif and caught corbina out of the surf. I believe they are a relative of red fish.They can only be caught in the surf and are often called Chinese croaker because they have a growth on their chin that looks like a Chinese style beard.  Corbina are truly amazing tasting fish and my very favorite, but I have heard that red fish taste similar and are equally good. Got to catch some, some day. 

Sounds like what we have here - black drum. They have fu Manchu whiskers on their bottom lip. They’re pretty good too. Catch them and sheepshead around piling. They like barnacles. 

4 hours ago, lnarngr said:

dman, how do you prepare speckle trout? 

Sometimes just pan fried with SPOG, sometimes deep fried, sometimes in a pan or foil boat on the grill with thin sliced onions and thin sliced tomatoes on it and sometimes like I’ve had in Belize where it is wrapped tightly in tin foil, with a dB of Blue Plate, sliced onions, flavorall or similar seasoning and leave it alone until the foil pouch puffs up. Then it’s done. Of course broiled in the oven drizzled with a little EVOO, butter and chopped garlic is really good too.

Thanks, dman. 

Tonight I tried my meager spec filets on my soapstone while I did halfshell redfish direct along side. They were alright but really too delicate. I will try one of your methods, next time. 

My daughter can make killer salmon on the 'stone and I ain't a salmon lover. I have cooked some pretty good grouper on it. 

No bites tonight. :sad: